Tried a Bulls Shooting Bag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Tried a Bulls Shooting Bag

Well I went to the range yesterday and brought my new Bulls Bag along to give it a try and sight in my scope.  The first three shots from it looked nice and tight, I felt pretty good.  Accura MR, 100 yards, 70 grain BH209 ( by weight), Harvester PT Golds 260 grains, and Harvester black crushed ribbed sabots.  The recoil was more than I cared for so I went back to my Caldwell Lead Sled Plus.  :D 

I "thought" it was going to be a good day.....however,  I never could duplicate that grouping again.  I don't know what I was doing wrong.  I could keep shots in a 6" inch circle but never could tighten up the group after my first three shots.  I shot about 25 rounds too!  Pretty disappointing.  I'll reload my Lanes tubes and head back to the range again this week. 

010_zps07531c20.jpg

011_zps498e013d.jpg

Re: Tried a Bulls Shooting Bag

Shoot it from the bag again , that way you'll see if there is something on the sled that is screwing with the groupings .

Spitfire is right. It is very easy to hold the gun too tight on the sled & get bad groups. Also check your breathing as you shoot. Make sure you're squeezing as you exhale & not stopping & then pulling the trigger. This kind of stuff happens to all of us no matter how much we shoot. Being aware of doing everything the same way.....every shot...... is critical.

Thanks guys!  I'll be going back in a day or two and taking up your advice.  I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Caldwell makes a rear bag as well but just watch getting the sling swivel on any gun in there and shooting. I have ripped mine once with a muzzleloader and once with a shotgun by not watching it. As you can see the duct tape. :lol: 

001_zps95d41fa5.jpg

Great set up!!

I see an open cover shooting table, Im betting the heat caused issues. I also prefer the harvester smooth sabot. In order for me to get accuracy with the crush rib, I had to up my charge to 120 grains BH209. I did skip 110 grains, maybe thats something to try and report back on.

Also de-carbon your breech plugs flash channel.

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
I also prefer the harvester smooth sabot. In order for me to get accuracy with the crush rib, I had to up my charge to 120 grains BH209. I did skip 110 grains, maybe thats something to try and report back on.
That may well be velocity related more so than anything wrong with the crush rib sabots. At 100 grains you might not have had speed for proper stabilization.

Thanks for the all the suggestions guys.  I haven't really experimented much with different powder charges because I like the 100 grain loads.  I did use some smooth black sabots (long and short) from Harvester, MMP and Hornady, which I think are made by MMP.  The crush ribbed sabots do load "very" easy in the MR.  They fit a lot tighter in my LHR Redemption.  

This next trip to the range I will try some 100, 105, 110 loads and keep notes on each.  I'm not going to the 120 grain because the recoil is more than I care to endure for lots of shots at the range. :(

I hate bench shooting with a passion with muzzleloaders. I get a gun sighted is as fast as possible, and then just practice offhand.

The only gun I enjoyed on a bench was my Winchester 94 30-30. I could shoot that all day, and keep smiling.

I think guys underestimate how strong the recoil is on muzzleloaders. When you see what CF guns it's equal to you'll understand.

Pete most look at the velocity bullet weight numbers and assume the recoil is tame , what most don't understand is that you add your powder charge to your bullet weight to calculate the recoil !

I calculate the recoil this way:  When I have to bend down to pick up my hat off the ground while rubbing my sore shoulder at the same time, the recoil is heavy!    :D

If i'm thinking of recoil while squeezing the trigger. It's too heavy. :rabbit:

I don't really care about the recoil but sometimes on the trip home your body tells you it has been punished !

"Get one of these to use with you Bull bag, and you will be just fine.
Carlos"

What Carlos said.

i shoot with an adjustable front rest and a rear bag like Carlos pictured. When you use a front bag and an adjustable front rest be careful that the front sling swivel does not hit the bag when the gun recoils. This usually strings the shots vertically, but sometimes it will string them horizontally.

Spit.........I didn't care at your age either. It bothers me now. Not as much meat on the bones now.

Yeah I believe it will catch up to me one day......till then I aim to shoot a few monster kickers !

Latest posts

Back