Tried out some heavier charges in my MR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My brother and I were able to get out shooting today. His CVA Hawken .54cal 1:48 twist is now dead on at 100 with 80gr 2fg goex. 020" patch and .490" round ball. I did a 3/4 length forestock bedding job on it and that really made things solid.

I had my traditions mountain rifle with me and decided 90gr 2fg goex, .020" patch and .490 round ball. I wanted to see how well that 1:48 twist did with a heavier charge than I normally use and she handled it well! 3 1/2" group at 100 yards for 5 shots. I do have to file a little more sight of however. Its about 4" low now VS over a foot when I first tried out the new rear sight lol.

Im happy with both rifles and shooters. I MAY go bear hunting in August with that mountain rifle, but am not sure yet.

Now to sit back, relax and clean the rifles.

FrontierGander said:
I do have to file a little more sight of however. Its about 4" low now VS over a foot when I first tried out the new rear sight lol.
I dunno. I'd sure try shooting it at 75 yards and some closer ranges before you take off any more sight. In that velocity range with a 50 cal I usually sight in dead on at 75 yards, which puts me about 6" low at 100, right on at 25 and about an inch high at 50. Pretty useful trajectory for my needs as I hold my shots to 100 or less.

If you're trying to stretch the range past 100 you'll find it's falling like a dead duck past 100, even with a 100 yard sight-in. I haven't tried it, but I'm betting with a 100 yard zero you might be as much as 4" high at 75 and 2-3" high at 50. Still usable, but lots different holds than I'm using.

See what works for you, but as you keep raising that POI out at 100, I'd sure do a lot of shooting at closer ranges too, just to see what's going on back there.

Latest posts

Back