Tried some of the 250gr Bonded Shockwaves yesterday...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Tried some of the 250gr Bonded Shockwaves Sunday... I tried them with 42gr N-110 in the ULA and 44gr N-110 in Savage #IV. Groups from the ULA really were not that bad. Range was 176 yds and average velocity was 2401fps...

From the ULA...
2005rangepics%20230.jpg

and again after adjusting the scope...

2005rangepics%20231.jpg

That's groups of 1.48 inches and 1.88 inches at 176yds. That's not too bad. Not the best it will do but certainly good enough.

The Savage didn't to too well with the 44gr N-110/Bonded Shockwave combo:

2005rangepics%20232.jpg

and

2005rangepics%20233.jpg

Those groups are 3.4 and 4.0 inches.

Going back to the range Wednesday for the range finale before my Texas hunt. DEFINITELY taking the ULA and then either HB #69 or Savage #IV...

Grouse said:
Are Bonded Shockwaves going on the Hunt????? ULA looks like it's ready to go hunting now.

I'll decide that tomorrow.. That ULA will shoot most any 250gr bullet really good. I weighed 120 charges of 42gr N-110 last night. Some are going to Texas and some to the range tomorrow.

Man,that ULA looks like one fine shooter! Is there a web/site with details on it? Ron

Big 6er-

For an apples to apples test have you also shot the 42gr N110 - 250gr Bonded SW load out of the Savage 10ML-2? The 44gr N110 load may be a little too hot causing more barrel heating and possibly sabot failure.

IAhunter said:
Big 6er-

For an apples to apples test have you also shot the 42gr N110 - 250gr Bonded SW load out of the Savage 10ML-2? The 44gr N110 load may be a little too hot causing more barrel heating and possibly sabot failure.

I was thinking the same thing.

I've not been able to get either the 250 or 300 gr. Shockwave bonded bullets to shoot acceptably well yet.

The 300 SST / 300 Shockwave has always been a screamer.

IAhunter said:
Big 6er-

You are reading my mind! That's for tomorrow AM! I DID try regular 250gr SSTs using 44gr N-110. Groups went to crap with those as well! 42gr N-110 and a 250gr bullet is such a sweet load... Hard to go wrong with that one.

...and tried them again TODAY...

The only powder charge I took with me to the range today was 42gr VV N-110. The first group I fired was with the Savage #IV with a 250gr Bonded Shockwave using a Harvester short sabot. Ambient temp was 36 degrees when I started shooting and distance to the target was 176yds.

2005rangepics%20234.jpg

That's certainly good ENOUGH for hunting out to 200yds or so BUT the rifle will do lots better. I tried the same bullet/powder charge but with a MMP HPH-12 but the group was larger so I didn't take a pic.

Here is a pic of the LAST group I fired with Savage #4 using a 250gr SST/Harvester short sabot and the 42gr N-110 charge.

2005rangepics%20235.jpg

There's really no doubt what I gonna shoot in this rifle! This happens to be the FIRST load I tried and what I used in Kentucky!

Here's the first group I fired using a 250gr Bonded Shockwave/Harvest sabot in the ULA .50.

2005rangepics%20236.jpg

AGAIN..this certainly IS good enough. I ALSO shot another group with the 250gr Bonded Shockwave/MMP HPH-12 sabot combination. It didn't do nearly as well.

Here is the LAST group I fired with the ULA using the 250gr PTX/Harvester short sabot and 42gr N-110. This target was someone elses who had left it. It was taped on the fence at 202yds.

2005rangepics%20237.jpg

SORRY so BLURY! :cry: I think THAT'S pretty good! Of course that's the load I had all ready settled on for the ULA!

I won't get to the range again before the Texas hunt but I'm going to leave things as they are. But when I DO get to go I'm going to back down to 40gr N-110 and see how the Bonded Shockwaves shoot. But for now...they REALLY don't seem to be quite as accurate as their non-bonded counterpart.

Wow Chuck, that's some awesome shooting. That ULA is proving to be worth every penny. Which Savage was that you used? Is no# 4 the new one? A quality scope probably really helps at 202yds.

Great shootin there Chuck!

What sabot is packed with the new Bonded SW bullets?

Chuck,
That is some great shooting with the ULA.

I am having similar results with the 250 BSW. I just doesn't seem to group as well as the 250 SST. I did get one two shot group to touch holes at 100 yards with a little lighter powder charge.
Then I shot another two shot group with that same powder charge to confirm, and-- the first shot hit right where the previous group was. :D
I thought great -and shot the second shot :( which hit about 1" high and 1/2" to the left.
I have weighed the BSWs and the SSTs that I have on hand and the SSTs weighed from 249.4 to 250.6 grains, the BSWs weighed 249.3 to 250.3 grains. So, I guess weight variance is not the problem.

DaveM

What sabot is packed with the new Bonded SW bullets?

I don't know Loggy. It LOOKS like a HPH-12 but I really don't know. I tried the Harvester SS AND the MMP HPH-12 though..

Chuck,
That is some great shooting with the ULA.

Thanks SF! I think it's just that smooth Douglas barrel! At some point I'm going to try 40gr N-110 and I have a good supply of SR-4759 and 5744 so I may try both of those as well. I'm not gonna chance using the Bonded SWs right now...I'd be WAY to paranoid! :shock:

Thanks for sharing your results. We seem to be on the same page here!

Latest posts

Back