Triple 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This question has probably been asked before but here goes. Is it ok to use fffg in a .50 caliber? If so are there advantages or disadvantages?

Man people do use the finer grade powder in their rifles. The advantages ... only your rifle knows. Some claim better accuracy, some just the opposite. I personally use the FFg instead of the finer grade. I find accuracy excellent and power more then adequate. There will be a slight increase in velocity if say the same amount of FFg VS FFFg were used. But don't rest your chickens on it. It is slight at best. FFFg is finer grade. So some claim better ignition. But I think any advantage there is slight at best. I have never had a problem getting either powders to ignite.

All I will say is let your rifle decide which of the two it likes.

rangerod said:
This question has probably been asked before but here goes. Is it ok to use fffg in a .50 caliber? If so are there advantages or disadvantages?
I use 3f in my 54 cal . I much prefer it over 2f .

I have used it in my Ruger 77/50 50 cal for about 14 years without an issue. I use it to gain a few fps in the rather short (IIRC about 20") barrel. I get really good accuracy using about 85gr by volume.

rangerod said:
Follow up? What is best for inline 209 ignition? Should I use the weaker Winchester 777 primer?

Normally... the hotter the primer the greater the "crud ring" left in the bore after shooting. You can reduce the size of the 'crud ring' by not using petroleum based products in the bore. Try to use all synthetic oil products.

After shooting you will probably need to run a moist patch after you shoot. I would suggest a 'damp' NOT 'wet' patch to work through the ring.

WinPatch.jpg

This is a 2017 post

I wonder if it popped up under the “Similar Posts” box, at the bottom of a page he was looking at?

That happens to me periodically- I’ll click on a “Similar Post,” then another, then another. Pretty soon I’m reading stuff that’s almost as old as I am! 😂

One thing that cracks me up about internet forums, in general… if you dredge up an old thread, you may be told that you should have posted a new thread. If you post a new thread, someone else will probably tell you that “it’s been discussed before,” and you should “use the Search function,” and post in a previous thread! 😂

I wonder if it popped up under the “Similar Posts” box, at the bottom of a page he was looking at?

That happens to me periodically- I’ll click on a “Similar Post,” then another, then another. Pretty soon I’m reading stuff that’s almost as old as I am! 😂

One thing that cracks me up about internet forums, in general… if you dredge up an old thread, you may be told that you should have posted a new thread. If you post a new thread, someone else will probably tell you that “it’s been discussed before,” and you should “use the Search function,” and post in a previous thread! 😂
Some threads are old to those that have been here a bit but since the info here is important to us new guys we read through almost all the threads no matter the age . where else can you get info from sources that are not biased by sponsorship ?

Some threads are old to those that have been here a bit but since the info here is important to us new guys we read through almost all the threads no matter the age . where else can you get info from sources that are not biased by sponsorship ?
that's exactly why i go to forums when researching something im interested in . i'll use youtube and reviews to get an idea of the features /functions of different things to narrow my options down . then i go to forums to get the real deal info from real folks . however ...... some forums are sponsored and some are flooded with fanboys for different products and brands , so that's not perfect either . we do what we can and try to do the best we can . i definately try to do business with places that have a good reputartion for customer service/returns if necessary . the more something cost the more i research .

NO FORUM IS PERFECT , but this is by far the best forum source of active muzzleloader info i have found .

BTW , i shoot 777fffg in my 2003 cva optima with no issues . but i have not shot it a lot and i'm certianly NOT a seasoned/expericenced shooter . i have shot 3 777 pellets and 110V of fffg with no issues . i gave the pellets to a young shooter in my GFs family . when my patriot gets here and i get a few lbs of smokeless powder for it i'll sell or give away the fffg powder .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back