Triple Seven ff versus fff accuracy in an Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
I have been using 777 in fff grains for two years now with mixed results in my .50 cal omega. I have tried 240 to 300 grain xtp's and shockwaves, but sometimes the groups at 100 yards are 3" to 5".

I am thinking if I switch to ff instead of fff, my accuracy may improve.

Has anyone found an improvement by using the coarser powder in their omega?

Thanks

ps. I am using a 3x9 Monarch scope

If you "Omega" groups are running 3" to 5" inches you have other issues and it is not the size of the grain of your 777 powder.

Your barrel may not be dry enough before you reload or your have not found the right bullet/sabot combination or you "QLA" in the rifle is not concentric which means the barrel needs replacing.

Chocdog

There are a lot of factors that could be coming in to play here.

How much powder by volu. are you useing , Is your OMEGA a synthetic stock or Lam. Dose your OMEGA have a QLA
some guys that have a synth. stock are having troubles with there guns POI and are having to inlay a block in there stocks to cure the probblem it helps float the barrle, pull your barrle and check the block that your bolt mounts in to hold your stock on, and make sure that it is not loose Check all yor screws on your scope base and rings . When you pull the barrle off look and see if there are marks on it were your stock is rubbing it.

3fg powder creates more barrle presure so if you are trying to shoot to much powder it will effect your shot accur. Whith 3fg of 777 try useing 75-80gr by volume to see how that does , and there again your gun may not like 3fg powder or triple 7 powder you may want to try REG PYRODEX RS.

Sorry, I am using 100 grains of loose powder. I have tried other amounts. Last year I used 105 gr with a 240 gr xtp, with decent accuracy.

I have checked the scope and base screws for tightness and they are okay.

I'm headed to the range this am and will post results later.

thanks,

TM

I get better accuaracy with FFg than FFFg in my Knights on a consistent basis. I tried FFFg in my new Elite and got better groups with FFg.

Here's what mine does with FFFg T7; never tried FFg

But would you...

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:09 pm Post subject: Omega 1st range session, bought from Patrick - great guy!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To say I am pleased is not enough. Just got the rifle and accessories in the mail yesterday, traded for a straight stock because I'm lefty, mounted a cheap scope, loaded up some CCI 450s in the 25ACP shells and went to the range this morning. Here are the results, I'm only sorry it was raining and I put several experiments on the same targets I shot for groups. I think I got <1/2 inch with both Shockwaves and the Barnes TMZ that he sent me. I would be happy with these in many centerfires and a couple guys at the range were flabbergasted. I really blew them away when I broke a clay pigeon on the 200 yd berm, (held over 1 foot).
The load is 100 gr volume, 81.5 gr weighed T7 FFF powder. A note is that the stock I put one is from a regular Omega and only free-floats for about 6" with this barrel. I guess I should leave it alone. Do all Omegas shoot like this??? Here are 2 targets. I normally swab w/ alocohol, 1 swab both sides and pop a cap. I tried a 'dirty' shot with TMZs and don't think I was seated all the way and on the Shockwave target took a couple shots with 2 old T7 pellets.

Back