Triple Seven Firestar pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiner200gr

Reaction score
Has anyone tested and chrono'd these in their Remington Ultimate ml? They (Hodgdon) make some pretty big claims about velocity.

Are not the Firestar pellets the new offering from Hodgdon's - but they call them made from new T8 powder. I think!

Well I heard about them so I now have a package of !0 tubes, each tube containing 6, 33 gr pellets. I see no mention of T8 on the packaging. I am waiting for my new breech conversion from Arrowhead, so I was just trying to get a little info in the meantime.

The composition is the same as old T7 pellets. Only the shape and weight have changed. 3 Firestars are the new "100gr" load and that weighs more than 2 original pellets. Nothing is magical about the fps increase. Its simply more Triple7 by weight and cost more per shot.
Old----60.8gr=100gr equivelent
New---72.9gr=100gr equivelent
1g5vpjW.jpg

Great. So that's where the extra 50fps comes from I guess, and the theory that the "star" shape enhances ignition. My Remington Ultimate owners manual says that the rifle will safely fire 200 gr of Triple 7....I suppose that means the full 6 pellet tube would be ok, but I truly HATE to "suppose" when it comes to psi.

I think if I had a Remington that the owners manual said I could shoot 200 grains of T7 in it I'd be using granulated and not taking for granted that ANY pellet would offer safe pressures. Its known that pellets can crack or break upon loading and that in and of itself can grossly affect the pressure when fired. As gm54-120 has shown, those triple star pellets are only a gimmick to get people to try and get more pop out of their guns when in fact they're just driving the price per shot up and quite possibly the safe working pressure. The only benefit that I can think of that any pellet might off is, in my opinion purely imaginary, in reality since one generally carries any powder charge for an in line to the woods in pre-measured charge tubes unless one drags the powder container and a measure out there which I rather doubt. I don't understand why when people own a modern muzzleloading gun they stymie themselves when it comes to getting the most out of it when it comes to choosing pellets over granulated powder. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this pellet/powder thing is like an E85 vehicle. You can use either unleaded regular or the E85. The real "value" and energy comes from the regular not the cheaper E85 fuel of which you need to buy way more of to get to the same destination. From the standpoint of getting the best accuracy out of your gun you'll always find if best when YOU control what the charge is, not pellet count.

Great. So that's where the extra 50fps comes from I guess, and the theory that the "star" shape enhances ignition. My Remington Ultimate owners manual says that the rifle will safely fire 200 gr of Triple 7....I suppose that means the full 6 pellet tube would be ok, but I truly HATE to "suppose" when it comes to psi.

If you want performance from a stock barrel RUML, go to ArrowHead rifle and get the LRMP ignition upgrade. Then you can use Blackhorn209. There is no comparison. Shortened case type ignitions systems have serious drawbacks and they have been around for ages. Every last one pales in comparison to a solid brass ignition module. They all leak eventually and case life is very poor.

Firestars are nothing more than a gimick. Exact same SDS as the old pellet and Triple7 loose powder. They just cost more.

I've shot a lot of UF/RUM and I'm with the other guys here that the Firestars are a gimmick IMO. If you are going to shoot pellets with the stock ignition system, use the T7 Mag Pellets 3 pellet load. I think they are around 63 gr. Check all of your brass for offset flash holes. Keep an eye on your fired brass for "leakers" if you get any, pitch that piece of brass. Remington brass is horrible. I wouldn't reprime them more than once. You can try T7 loose but you are wasting your money. With heavy loads of T7 loose you are blowing a lot of it out of the end of the barrel. Always keep an eye out for cracked or chipped pellets. When loading use steady preasure until you feel the projectile "land" on top of your pellets. Never "tamp" your load. These rifles can be very accurate with pellets, but there are options. Pic is a UF Black Widow.

Attachments

• IMGP1291.JPG
    IMGP1291.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 5
I think if I had a Remington that the owners manual said I could shoot 200 grains of T7 in it I'd be using granulated and not taking for granted that ANY pellet would offer safe pressures. Its known that pellets can crack or break upon loading and that in and of itself can grossly affect the pressure when fired. As gm54-120 has shown, those triple star pellets are only a gimmick to get people to try and get more pop out of their guns when in fact they're just driving the price per shot up and quite possibly the safe working pressure. The only benefit that I can think of that any pellet might off is, in my opinion purely imaginary, in reality since one generally carries any powder charge for an in line to the woods in pre-measured charge tubes unless one drags the powder container and a measure out there which I rather doubt. I don't understand why when people own a modern muzzleloading gun they stymie themselves when it comes to getting the most out of it when it comes to choosing pellets over granulated powder. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this pellet/powder thing is like an E85 vehicle. You can use either unleaded regular or the E85. The real "value" and energy comes from the regular not the cheaper E85 fuel of which you need to buy way more of to get to the same destination. From the standpoint of getting the best accuracy out of your gun you'll always find if best when YOU control what the charge is, not pellet count.

The rifles, specifically the ignition system, were designed to shoot pellets which makes a huge difference especially with the UF rifles. Drop 3 T7M pellets down the barrel, followed by a 300gr SST in a H5045LB sabot, and go hunt long range. No load development required. Just zero the rifle at 100yds and hunt.

I've shot a lot of UF/RUM and I'm with the other guys here that the Firestars are a gimmick IMO. If you are going to shoot pellets with the stock ignition system, use the T7 Mag Pellets 3 pellet load. I think they are around 63 gr. Check all of your brass for offset flash holes. Keep an eye on your fired brass for "leakers" if you get any, pitch that piece of brass. Remington brass is horrible. I wouldn't reprime them more than once. You can try T7 loose but you are wasting your money. With heavy loads of T7 loose you are blowing a lot of it out of the end of the barrel. Always keep an eye out for cracked or chipped pellets. When loading use steady preasure until you feel the projectile "land" on top of your pellets. Never "tamp" your load. These rifles can be very accurate with pellets, but there are options. Pic is a UF Black Widow.

Agreed.

Thanks GM, my Arrowhead breech conversion is due here on Tuesday. Just installed a new Timney trigger yesterday (no weight adjustment screw hanging down to cut my finger).

Nothing wrong with a Timney but im digging the TriggerTech reviews. I love simple near idiot proof.

Latest posts

Back