Triumph shooting report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_vanfossen

Reaction score
Well I received my new triumph last Friday and had it on the range yesterday. I was a little disappointed because at the 100 yard mark I had a hard time getting the scope sighted in where I feel happy with it.

It seemed like it would shoot high right, I'd adjust the scope just to have it shoot farther to the right or up higher etc.. I started off with 120 grains of BH209 and after that beating me up a few shots (lol) I changed to 100g bh209 with 250g super glides.

I'm not sure if it is the scope (leupold rifleman) or the rifle but it was definitely the hardest time I've ever had sighting in a rifle, although it is my first ever ML.

I was thinking of changing the powder charge to 80 grains of bh209(equivalent of 100 bp grains). How do you think this grain charge will do at shooting groups out to 100 yards?

Thanks,
Brian

80gr BH209 is still a beefy load. I shoot that in pyrodex rs and took a clean kill @ 140 yards. Its not so much the powder charge, but the sabot you choose. How were the groups?

b_vanfossen
Make sure your mounting blocks and scope rings are tight also check the pivot block where it bolts on to the bottom of the barrel.
If all that is good you might try some different sabots mine shoot all over the place with what you are using and then drill one hole with the only change being to a short black Harvester sabot. Lee

b_vanfossen
Make sure your mounting blocks and scope rings are tight also check the pivot block where it bolts on to the bottom of the barrel.
If all that is good you might try some different sabots mine shoot all over the place with what you are using and then drill one hole with the only change being to a short black Harvester sabot.

X2.
Trying a different sabot/bullet combination may help your groups. It's hard to sight in when your groups are all over because you end up chasing yourself. Find something that will make a tight group for you and then dial in your scope to where you want it. I would recommend either the Hornady SST/ML or the TMZ's with the harvester short black sabot.

thanks for all the tips guys. I will try the suggestions of the bullet types mentioned here...

The harvester bullets- or any others with hallow point tips- are they acurate at distance? I didn't think they would be as good as the polymar tipped (pointed) bullets.

thanks

b_vanfossen said:
thanks for all the tips guys. I will try the suggestions of the bullet types mentioned here...

The harvester bullets- or any others with hallow point tips- are they acurate at distance? I didn't think they would be as good as the polymar tipped (pointed) bullets.

thanks

Thats what bullet makers have you believing.

A snazzy bullet with a tip is STILL a hollow point with something shoved into it so they can write up a mean and nasty sounding name for the tip.

b_vanfossen said:
frontier gander said:
I shoot that in pyrodex rs and took a clean kill @ 140 yards.

what do you mean you use BH209 and pyrodex?

thanks

You're 80gr bh209 load you said is equal to 100gr pyrodex. I was saying that 80gr BH209 will easily be able to take those kind of long shots that i take with 80gr pyrodex.

frontier gander said:
A snazzy bullet with a tip is STILL a hollow point with something shoved into it so they can write up a mean and nasty sounding name for the tip.

yes- but according to physics there is something to that aerodynamic theory thingy..... lol

frontier gander said:
You're 80gr bh209 load you said is equal to 100gr pyrodex. I was saying that 80gr BH209 will easily be able to take those kind of long shots that i take with 80gr pyrodex.

thanks for letting me know that. right now I'm shooting = 125g bp. Next range session I'll change to 100g bp = 80g bh209. the rifle seemed to like me lowering the charge down to 100g bh from 120g bh...

I sighted in the rifle with the 250g thompson center super glides. the rifle did came with 250g shock waves (regular)- would they throw off the sites enough so I would not want to hunt with them this weds? if so I have to go buy more super glides.... :(

thanks

One other thing I do when I sight in a rifle with a scope or open sights.. I start at 13 yards. I shoot to hit paper only. At 13 yards it better be shooting one ugly hole. If not, I have load developement to do. Its too hard to sight in a scope and chase bullet holes unless you are 100% sure that the load your shooting out of that rifle is an accurate load.

Once I have an ugly hole at 13 yards, I adjust the scope to hit dead center bulls eye. Then I move it back to 25 yards and do it all over again. And again, it better be shooting an ugly hole.

From there I like to move to 50 yards, and again expect a very accurate load and group size. Until I have a group size, I do not even start to try and tune in at a long distance.

This is just my way. I am not saying it is the right way, but I can not in my mind shoot at 100 yards, spray a target, and say its the scope. I could be the projectile, the powder, a bad day, who knows...

cayuga- you are right on with my technique. I started at 25 yards till happy, then 50 yards- then 100 yards...

Thanks

if I change from shock wave super glides to regular shock waves- will that throw off my sights alot? too much to go hunting on weds?

Thanks

You should still be close to where you were at 100 yards. At least on paper so you can see what your group is like and then adjust your scope. When you talk about your charges, are you referring to volume or by weight?

Keep trying. Once you find the bullet/powder combo, you will love the gun. If you are looking for a good combo try 110 gr bh209 with Hornday 250 gr SST or 120 gr bh209 with Barnes 290gr TMZ or even 2 777 mag pellets with the TMZ.

I didnt read all the posts prior to mine, but double check to see all you bolts and screws are tight on your scope.

Make sure you're not anticipating the shot. I started off with 120 grains of BH209 when I initially sighted in my rifle and I found myself flinching a little. I had to calm down, sqeeze the trigger and just let it happen. Once I did that, my groups tightened up and accuracy came with it.

The T/C 250 grain Superglide should shoot well in the Triumph. I'd try 125 grains of loose 777. I've seen that combo work very very nicely.

Since you are using BH209 I would go with a tighter fitting sabot. I really think this would help. Try the Harvester Short black sabot and the 250 gr. Shockwave or you can use the black sabots that come with the shockwave. Start with 100 gr. (by Volume) of BH209 and work up in 5 gr. increments untill you find the sweet spot. This bullet/sabot combo has performed really well for other members on this site and it also works great in my Omega and Endeavor. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

I have her sighted in with the tc shock wave super glides.

if I change to the regular tc shock waves will that through off my sights? or will she still be sighted in??

I'm going hunting tomorrow and I'm out of the super glides, but I have the 5 shock waves that came with the gun....

Make sure you are using regular 209 primers and not the kind that were developed for a ML. I was having difficulty with the Federal Fusion primers in my TC Triumph.

I have had very good results with the Federal 209a. My groups tightened up in colder weather with the 209a's.

I didn't read the BH209 container like I should have :oops:. On the container it clearly states to use regular shotgun primers! :d'oh!:

Latest posts

Back