TSS didn't spread.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattie bumppo

Reaction score
Getting ready for spring turkey with my 54 smooth flinter. Loading sequence; 50 gr ffg, fiber wad, plastic shotgun wad with 2 lengthwise slits, 9 shot tss with a shot card on top.

My pattern, is top pic.20240206_130711.jpg20240206_130659.jpg

Bottom pic is exactly the same without fiber wad. 2 shots because I couldn't believe it.

What gives.

Yep I'm a 1st time BP shotgunner..

Interesting. What is the weight of your shot charge and what type of wad (shot cup) are you using? Any pics of the wad?

I'd stick with the cardboard wads. That's a really great pattern. I never used TSS shot (I'm assuming its tungsten) and know its heavy but don't you thing #9 is a bit small for turkey? Personally I think I would use 7 1/2 or bigger. Seems like #9 would lack penetration.

Maybe the issue is small sample size.

I wouldn’t think that the fiber wad would make that much difference in how the shot cup opens up and releases the shot. I’ll bet if you added two more slits to the cup, it would solve the problem, but the pattern may open up. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I'd stick with the cardboard wads. That's a really great pattern. I never used TSS shot (I'm assuming its tungsten) and know its heavy but don't you thing #9 is a bit small for turkey? Personally I think I would use 7 1/2 or bigger. Seems like #9 would lack penetration.
TSS is substantially heavier (18g/cc) than lead (11 g/cc) and so a TSS #9 pellet has roughly the energy/penetration of a lead #4.

https://www.super18tungstenshot.com/blogs/education/what-makes-tss-so-effective

And because TSS is so hard it shoots a tighter pattern generally than lead and looses energy at a slower rate because of the pellets density advantage.

It ain’t cheap, but TSS is another (better) universe from the other shot alternatives.

I'd stick with the cardboard wads. That's a really great pattern. I never used TSS shot (I'm assuming its tungsten) and know its heavy but don't you thing #9 is a bit small for turkey? Personally I think I would use 7 1/2 or bigger. Seems like #9 would lack penetration

My backstop was waterproof plywood. That durn 9 tss penetrated as well as my Winchester Long beard 3in mag 5 shot from a turkey choked franchi!

As soon as I use up my lead, I'm going straight tss for turkeys.

TSS is game changing. NYS changed the law WRT minimum shot size because of it. 20 gauge has become a very common shotgun caliber because of it and 410 is even being used by sub-gauge fans.
I took a hung up bird at 72 yards two years ago and folded it up like a cheap lawn chair.
Like steel, it does not compress so expect tight patterns.
Anyone switching to TSS should pattern their gun. Especially at the shorter ranges we normally call birds in to. This stuff will be super tight in close, the reason I use Federal 3RD Degree. It has a blend of lead and TSS so that you have that in tight stopping power you need.

Last edited:
Try adding more slits and deeper, or a spreader wad.
Number 9's are more than enough for turkey, I have flattened a dozen coyotes who were unfortunate enough to come to a turkey call.
I have never shot TSS from a muzzleloader but I think the same principles apply. Any idea of what velocity you are getting ?

For pattern at given distances it's all about choke in any shotgun.Plain in simple. Constriction.
OP stated cylinder bore and target was 40 yards. A cylinder bore is a 15-17 yard load. Test that load at 16 ~ 18 yards and see how it performs.
If your smooth bore barrel has enough OD you could use an expanding reamer to jug choke choke it. Here again depends on your barrel dimensions.

Doesn't matter what type of shot is or wad etc.
That being said for ML SG developing load , open holes in patterns. Too much powder and not enough payload or vice versa. Tweak one or the other.
Developing good loads for a shotgun regardless ML or modern is not the same or as developing accurate CF rifle load.

I would not try a spreader wad nor slit the wad more in this case. Would cause the shot to spread even more.

A thicker wall wad can effectively add constriction.

I don’t know of any muzzleloader shotguns that have steel shot rated barrels.
I’d suggest then if using TSS shot to use a TSS rated wad. TPS series wad handle this.
If not rated for steel , one can possibly / likely score their barrel.

What works for me . I use a TPS46 with 3/8” cork wad filler & 14gr of buffer. 1-1/2 oz #9’s.
Started off using a 1-7/8 oz load. Found it wasn’t needed.

Last edited:
Getting ready for spring turkey with my 54 smooth flinter. Loading sequence; 50 gr ffg, fiber wad, plastic shotgun wad with 2 lengthwise slits, 9 shot tss with a shot card on top.

My pattern, is top pic.View attachment 41439View attachment 41440

Bottom pic is exactly the same without fiber wad. 2 shots because I couldn't believe it.

What gives.

Yep I'm a 1st time BP shotgunner..
My experience in a White Ray Eye Series Tominator with nickel Plated shot is that the number of slits and the depth of the slits deeply affects the shot dispersal.
My bet is you need more slits in the wad.
Try 3 and then four slits. One change at at time.
Then try deeper slits.
With 4 slits that were not but about 1/4 of the depth of the wad I had a "slug" at 25 yds. Just one big hole.

TSS is game changing. NYS changed the law WRT minimum shot size because of it. 20 gauge has become a very common shotgun caliber because of it and 410 is even being used by sub-gauge fans.
I took a hung up bird at 72 yards two years and folded it up like a cheap lawn chair.
Like steel, it does not compress soI'm a little worried. When the antigunners get wind they'll start pushing to get rid of all lead.

Try adding more slits and deeper, or a spreader wad.
Number 9's are more than enough for turkey, I have flattened a dozen coyotes who were unfortunate enough to come to a turkey call.
I have never shot TSS from a muzzleloader but I think the same principles apply. Any idea of what velocity you are getting ?
Never thought about chrono'ing shotgun loads. I do have a chronograph. What would that tell me.

Never thought about chrono'ing shotgun loads. I do have a chronograph. What would that tell me.
I'm curious what kind of velocity you're getting and if it's not over 1,000fps I might go with bigger size TSS than #9, but if they are substantially penetrating the plywood I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
My backstop was waterproof plywood. That durn 9 tss penetrated as well as my Winchester Long beard 3in mag 5 shot from a turkey choked franchi!

As soon as I use up my lead, I'm going straight tss for turkeys.
I use TSS in all my guns, ML included. Killed several turkeys with a Perdersoli 12 ga SxS, and bc there is a full choke on the L barrel I don’t use a shot cup at all. People here have given great advice with use of slits in ur shot cup, etc. I had the same problem with “slug shots” with my cups which is why I quit using them. I do use buffer which helps. Here is a video of my setup:

Back