Twin Cities ML shoot tomorrow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Swede

Reaction score
I'm excited to go to a ml shoot tomorrow in Minneapolis,Mn. It will be the first time I use my new Williams FP peep sight and globe front sight. I won't really compete as it isn't sighted in yet. I'd like to thank Idaho Lewis for the sight recommendations. Anyone have any tips how to adjust these sights before going out so I can get on the paper the first fewshots?
dfafcfabd90d832e00caab0626ab29e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

Thought I'd mention that it's a Traditions Mountain Rifle with a new hickory ramrod I made from supplies I got from Track of the Wolf. Rifle has a stock barrel with a 48 twist. I'm hoping it will shoot a sabot and 45 caliber bullet. I've got 225, 250 and 300 grain bullets. Hope one shoots good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: Twin Cities ML shoot tomorrow

Sounds as though the weather may be a stickler for travel on Saturday. Today even. If you have to drive far to get to this coming from the north, take care. Shoot good and have a great Easter!

ndswede, Nice lookin Rifle!! :yeah: I am confident you will really like that Williams FP Hawken sight, That is the same sight i am shooting to 500 yards with my 1:30 GM LRH (Hotrod Hawken) The best way to get on target with a whole new sight setup like that is to shoot at the center of a large piece of Cardboard up close (25 yards or so) Start with your FP peep all the way down as low as it goes. I forgot which Lyman front Globe you went with? Are you using the Stock Lyman inserts in the Globe, or the Fine Lee Shavers BPCR inserts?

Here is something you might think about adding to your FP Hawken Peep, it’s called a Gib lock, it takes place of the little side screw that locks the elevator in place, the Gib Lock allows you to make sight adjustments in the field without the need of a little flathead screw driver, as you can see the Gib is large and Knurled allowing you to grab and turn it loose by hand, make your adjustment, then turn it back tight to lock the Elevator back down.

Here is the Gib Elevator Lock, I had to cut the threads back on mine for my TC Hawken as the threads were a bit long and would have hit my stock, easy job with a dremel and cutoff wheel :yeah: It might not need trimmed back on yours? But if it does it’s an easy job to do
tnt2X1a.jpg

Here you can see the Gib Lock on mine, the big knob on the low left side
XXqqRpr.jpg

If you just plan on Zeroing your rifle at 100 yards and leaving it there, there’s really no need for the Gib Lock, I shoot various yardages all the way out to 500 yards with my setup so the Gib Lock is an AWESOME feature for me, Having to carry a little flathead screw driver around to make elevation adjustments is NOT much for handy, The Gib takes care of that :yeah:

Wait what??? There is a ML shoot in Minneapolis? Where? Its to late for this year but Id like more info for next time.

Re: RE: Re: Twin Cities ML shoot tomorrow

MrTom said:
Sounds as though the weather may be a stickler for travel on Saturday. Today even. If you have to drive far to get to this coming from the north, take care. Shoot good and have a great Easter!
Thanks MrTom. I'm traveling up from the south so I'm hoping the weather will be all right. We've missed the last couple snow falls, maybe we'll miss this one too. Happy Easter to you too.

03mossy said:
Wait what??? There is a ML shoot in Minneapolis? Where? Its to late for this year but Id like more info for next time.
Hi 03mossy. There's a club in the cities called Twin cities muzzleloader club. If you look at their website under winter shoots, it lists the 4 or 5 shoots they have between Curistmas and spring. I'm not a member, just go to a couple shoots per year. They are a real friendly group and will welcome you right in. Most of the shoots are at the Minnitonka sportsman club. This one is just north of the cities. Maybe we can meet next winter. At 63, I'll be the young guy there. [emoji1]

Idaholewis said:
If you just plan on Zeroing your rifle at 100 yards and leaving it there, there’s really no need for the Gib Lock, I shoot various yardages all the way out to 500 yards with my setup so the Gib Lock is an AWESOME feature for me, Having to carry a little flathead screw driver around to make elevation adjustments is NOT much for handy, The Gib takes care of that :yeah:
Idaholewis, thanks for the help. That Gib lock looks real handy, where did you get it? Also where did you get the large target appiture (disk) for you William's sight? I'm interested in getting both of them. I would like to shoot out to at least 200 yards. For now I've just got the Lyman inserts which came with the globe sight. I am planning to get the Lee Shavers ones as well.

ndswede said:
Idaholewis said:
Idaholewis, thanks for the help. That Gib lock looks real handy, where did you get it? Also where did you get the large target appiture (disk) for you William's sight? I'm interested in getting both of them. I would like to shoot out to at least 200 yards. For now I've just got the Lyman inserts which came with the globe sight. I am planning to get the Lee Shavers ones as well.

You can get the Gib lock screw from Williams themselves, or Brownells, and maybe other places as well? I got my Williams large Aperture from Buffalo Arms, I actually have 3 of them on different rifles, you can probably get it from Williams themselves as well? It is a 1” Target Aperture with .050 peep hole, I have 1 i left at .050 and the other 2 I opened slightly for lower light. For Target stuff the Small Aperture is the way to go :yeah: Kinda nice to have 2 of them to switch out from small to larger depending on light. The Lee shavers inserts come as a Card, i use a pair of pliers and carefully bend them to break the Tab holding them in place. The Shaver’s Card is probably the most important thing you can do, they are that good! The card of inserts is only 20 bucks. The Williams Aperture is like 11-12 dollars, and the Gib Lock is like 10 bucks.

One thing to watch for, The Small .050 hole in the Williams Target Aperture will likely fool ya, from indoors it might look tough to see through? You really need to put it in the sight, sit down and study a target with it. Make sure and do that before making judgement that it needs opened up! And it’s possible that you will like it better slightly opened up? It is Aluminum, so VERY VERY easy to drill it out larger, But again, make sure and try it first. It really comes down to personal preference, i find that i use the smallest hole in my Lee Shavers Hadley eye Cup by far the most, and it is teeny tiny. I am speaking Target work, For hunting you would DEFINITELY want a more open peep

Just got back from the ML shoot just north of Minneapolis. Getting there was a bit of an adventure. We got about 4-6" of snow last night. There must have been a dozen cars in the ditch this morning on the way.
The shoot was a lot of fun. The people were great. The cost was only $15 which included lunch.
This was the first time shooting the Williams FP peep sight. It was great. First shot at 25 yards was on the paper so that was a good start. About 4 shots later it was punching out the center. It was a lot easier to shoot than regular iron sights.

I got the lowest Lyman globe front sight I could find, but still had to raise the back sight about half way up the adjustment to get it sighted in at 25 yards. Hope there is still enough adjustment left to shoot out to 150-200 yards. Was shooting sabots and 225 grain 45 caliber Hornady ftx bullets. They are pretty short so seemed to stabilize just fine. Next time I'll try 250, 265 and 300 grain bullets. The goal is to find the heaviest bullet that will stabilize with a 1:48 twist.
Anyone have any ideas to help move the project forward?

Just keep on shooting and take notes.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

The storm and snow never really took off like it was predicted to, even where they were supposed to get a foot. Glad things went well on the road and the range.

Gotta ask ndswede, where do you call home? If you're home at 2:30 already you must not have far to travel to get to Minneapolis and driving north to get there would put in my area or close to it. I'm in Rochester.

MrTom said:
The storm and snow never really took off like it was predicted to, even where they were supposed to get a foot. Glad things went well on the road and the range.

Gotta ask ndswede, where do you call home? If you're home at 2:30 already you must not have far to travel to get to Minneapolis and driving north to get there would put in my area or close to it. I'm in Rochester.
I'm in south Minneapolis. It's pretty handy to shoot with the ML club either at Minnetonka gun club or at Fernwood club. Both are about 40 minutes away. Met another guy from south Mpls at the shoot today.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

It sounded like you may have been from further south. Pretty handy for you indeed. I was thinking of hitting the club I belong to but winds in the 30-50mph range sort of blew that idea out the window.

ndswede said:
I got the lowest Lyman globe front sight I could find, but still had to raise the back sight about half way up the adjustment to get it sighted in at 25 yards. Hope there is still enough adjustment left to shoot out to 150-200 yards. Was shooting sabots and 225 grain 45 caliber Hornady ftx bullets. They are pretty short so seemed to stabilize just fine. Next time I'll try 250, 265 and 300 grain bullets. The goal is to find the heaviest bullet that will stabilize with a 1:48 twist.
Anyone have any ideas to help move the project forward?

ndswede, Do you you remember which Lyman 17 you got, was it the AHB or the AML? Their 17AHB is the lowest Globe they make at .404 height, the AML is .494 height. I have the low AHB on all of my TC Sidelocks, The 17AHB allows me to keep my Peep really low, leaving most of my elevation alone

Here is an AHB on my Stainless Green Mountain LRH .50 Cal, give you an idea just how low the AHB is
6AtyekL.jpg

Here is my Williams FP Hawken sight Zeroed at 100 Yards, as you can see i am almost Bottomed out, leaving all of the elevation alone. The taller your front sight, the more elevation in the peep you have to use up
KKt4ofI.jpg

Here is my FP Hawken peep setting for 500 yards, if it weren’t for the Really Low Lyman 17AHB Globe up front i wouldn’t be able to get 500, This is also completely out of my Target Knob Gear, i have to set this, then use my Gib lock to lock the Elevator in place.
pTWzPtH.jpg

ndswede, Other than a lower front sight, The other thing that comes to mind is to fasion a Shim to go under the FP Hawken peep and raise it. Obviously the thicker the shim under the Peep, the lower you will get the Elevator

Happy Easter everyone.
He is risen!

Back