Twist question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum

Reaction score
What kind of performance can I expect from a 1:48 twist barrel using sabots? Looking to make a 200 yard sidelock.

Most 1:48 twist will shoot sabots pretty good, but my old Renegade shot 240gr saboted bullets well but didn't like 300 gr bullets at all.. was shooting 90-100 gr of 2F Goex.. If you can find a accurate load give it a try, with practice probably doable only problem may be retained velocity/energy if your gun doesnt like heavier bullets.

I wouldn't build one with 1-48 , why not go 30 or faster

agree wouldn't build one with that twist but if its what you've got then run with it. If building might as well do a 1:28 like Knights, Omegas etc. Or 1:24 like the Whites and then you can shoot heavier saboted bullets plus big lead.

A 250 grain Hornady XTP needs a 1-49 twist. A 300, a 1-39 1/4. Of course some rifles don't know what they should shoot or not shoot well...
I have a .50 caliber Firehawk with a 1-38 twist that is outstanding with the above mentioned bullets. That twist is also reportedly good for full caliber conical too.
Personally, I love the 1-38, but 200 yards is a poke. Perhaps a more important choice is the sights you intend on using.
If your current rifle has a 1-48, you will not be disappointed with the .45 caliber 250 grain XTP even out to 200 yards.

I've been shooting the green sabot 44/50 with 250grn XTP for many years out of my Lyman Great Plains 1/66 twist with VG accuracy. Sorry I don't remember the group sizes right now .
Longest shot one deer 167 yds with it.
I recall groups were consistent and not a fluke.

You'd have to get some pretty good velocity up to shoot 200-yards with flat trajectory. Would be pretty high at 50 and even 100-yards. How about the new Powerbelt ELR bullets? Exactly what they are made for.

No way a ELR will stabilize in a 1-48...not a chance and its made for 45cal barrel, not for sabots in a 50cal.

Anything slower than a 1-28 will be a very poor choice for 200 yard shots. You will be greatly limited by bullet length in sabots.

Just get a Rice or Oregon barrel in a faster twist if you want a long range sidelock. Not many GMB LRH hunter barrels still out there but they will work too if you can find one.

Generally slower twist means shorter ,lighter bullet- ex 1/66 round ball ,but as prior poster said, some rifles don't know what they're supposed to shoot. Work at it a little, you may be surprised at what's best. Probably 230 - 240 gr in your 1/48.

Back