Ugly as Hell (Part 2)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to return it and I'm in email battle with Sportsmans as they are saying the Bare Primer kit is on clearance, which is clearly is not. I paid the full price for it.

So in the mean time, I ordered the Mountaineer FPJ Kit and I'm waiting for it to arrive. If Sportsmans refuses to return the item, I will put this kit up for sale here and will not buy from them again.
Have you tried reaching out to Knight? They may step up and swap you bolt bodies. You never know, i think it may be worth a try.

That looks really nice. I like the stock to. I've been doing my synthetic stocks similarly but using greens and brown.
For those wanting to know how I do it it is very simple. Spray the stock with a solid color. What I think Swamp did was use a flat black. Then it looks like he used a gray and white paint to put in the design. I use a natural sponge that I rip into different shapes and lightly dip in the paint and start dabbing the stock in a random pattern. Let that dry then go to the next color. The nice thing is you can't screw it up. You just keep playing until you get it right. Swamp did an excellent job keeping his pattern consistent throughout the entire process. I may mine more random to imitate a woods pattern.

Last edited:
was the stock composit or wood ?I was thinking of doing a hydro dip on a stock.This looks great.

Stock is composite. As Bronko stated above, its a real simple process, and one heck of a lot cheaper than having it hydro dipped.

I started with a flat black base coat. Then after drying a day, I used a chunk of natural sponge you get at craft stores, and started dabbing the darker gray in a somewhat camo pattern, not covering every inch of the stock. After that dried a day, I then used a new piece of sponge and dabbed a light gray in the areas that were still black. After that dried a day, I came back with the same black, and dabbed the entire stock, which really broke up the light and darker gray areas. After drying a day, I then proceeded to spray 3 coats of clear gloss, then a 2 coats of clear matte the next day. You don't want to use only matte clear coat as several coats of matte over each other will start looking milky. Use the gloss first, then follow up with the matte. And Bronko is right, you really cannot screw it up! Its an easy process. I bought 5 cans of paint, Flat Black, Primer Gray, a lighter Primer Gray, Clear Gloss, and Clear Matte, a pack of Sponges at Michael's, and used 3 paper plates to spray the paint on to dab the sponges in. That's it.

Last edited:
I may have missed it, were you going to return the bare primer bolt kit for the fpj bolt kit? To use the lehigh adapter, or are you staying with the Knight bare primer setup?

Received another email from Sportsmans Warehouse on returning my Knight Mountaineer 209 Bolt and it said "Since this is a gun part, there are no returns". So I'm outta luck returning this new unfired Mountaineer Bare Primer Bolt Kit. It will be up for sale here soon after I get my new FPJ Bolt Kit on Monday.

Back