Up grade on MK85 sights.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
After getting my MK85's, I added Williams FP peeps. I hated the front sights on the rifles. I have been using the Lyman 17 AML globe sights on my Hot Rods for a long time. So I decided to give them a try on the knights.
The one thing that I knew was the front sight was going to be too tall for the FP. I knew I needed to probably rise the rear sight. So I measured approximately how much I needed and found what I hope to be a suitable spacer. I ordered some screws to do the lift kit but I didn't know what size so I got them too long and had to trim them down.
I don't know where the sight will be set yet but it feel good. A little taller so it feels a little but different than it used to. I will have to give it a try and see how it does.

Jacobs%20new%20sight%202-24-16%20A_zpsumy7f3ut.jpg

Jacobs%20new%20sight%202-24-16%20B_zps4xcwdz6r.jpg

Jacobs%20new%20sight%202-24-16%20C_zpssadsuok9.jpg

Jacobs%20new%20sight%202-24-16%20E_zpss2cubbkg.jpg

Jacobs%20new%20sight%202-24-16%20G_zpssn5mo69z.jpg

Jacobs%20new%20sight%202-24-16%20D_zpspabqfjuy.jpg

Jacobs%20new%20sight%202-24-16%20F_zpsg96mssqp.jpg

Looks nice Ron.

Those MKs are classics. I may need to get one. Weren't they listed as one of the best guns ever made by some reputable organization?

Field and Stream listed the MK85 as one of the top 50 guns ever made. I don't think any other muzzleloader has ever made that list in the firearms category.

I had one in 54cal SS i got at a heck of a price NIB. I sold it and still regret it. The rifle had a wonderful balance, fairly light and easily one of the best triggers ive ever seen on a muzzleloader. Fit and finish was superb too.

There is a .54 MK85 on gunbroker right now. Starting bid is $99.00, no bids so far, some rust on the outside visible :x

Boy Ron, that is a HUGE improvement on the old style front sight for sure. I like what you did on the peep too. Let us know how it does for you. If I ever shot open sights, I'd certainly look into that. As it is, all mine have scopes.

I love my MK's... have a bunch of em. :D
They are superb rifles all the way around, and they shoot excellent. And yes GM54, my SS .54 has great balance :yeah:

FWIW, my .50's do too :mrgreen:

Looks good Ron!
Did you use the original ramp?
I am wondering if another ramp would put that front sight closer to the barrel and then you might not have to raise the FP sight so much.
Just a thought.....

I too am curious about the ramp and the front sight, going with the 17 AHB .404" vs the 17 AMI .494" might have eliminated the need for the spacer. The ramp in the one pic appears to have a different radius than the barrell, is that an illusion?

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

I use the 17AML for my TC's. For this one I used the 17AHB.
I never looked into a different ramp.

Came across this today looking for sights for my mk85 ,out shooting it today great gun mine is a ss lam stock with a three digit SN,best inline ever!

Since I wrote this I actually made a video you can check out.

Hi Ron

I'm curious what is the front ramp that you used. Is it original to the Knight. Only there seem to be some for sale out there that don't have that same snug fit that you got with the Lyman peep. Also, do you remember the depth of the shim that you used to build up the rear sight? I have a Knight and also an Omega that I am looking to add Williams / Lyman Peep sights to. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Ron

I'm curious what is the front ramp that you used. Is it original to the Knight. Only there seem to be some for sale out there that don't have that same snug fit that you got with the Lyman peep. Also, do you remember the depth of the shim that you used to build up the rear sight? I have a Knight and also an Omega that I am looking to add Williams / Lyman Peep sights to. Any help would be appreciated.

I used the factory ramp. How I determined the height of the spacer. I measured the height of the origin sight from the center of the bore to the top of the sight. Then I installed the globe and measured it again. The difference was the thickness of the spacer. On mine I think it was .200"

I used the factory ramp. How I determined the height of the spacer. I measured the height of the origin sight from the center of the bore to the top of the sight. Then I installed the globe and measured it again. The difference was the thickness of the spacer. On mine I think it was .200"
Thank you for the info and the video. Much appreciated.

Back