Vegetable Deer Soup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was going to grill some deer steaks but it was windy, rainy, and down right cold. My wife said "Soup sounds good." Perfect! I used some frozen broth I had from roast drippings. It actually sleeted o_O while we were enjoying our hot soup. Come on fall and hunting season, I need more stew meat!
jbHJ9ct.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!!! As a curry fan ive found venison works really well for that too. Just add a mild one like vadouvan to your recipe.

That looks awesome! My wife was just the other day saying that we have a lot of packages of stew meat. I think some nice venison stew will be on the menu at our house.

When i use venison for some stuff i fry it in GOOD lard or beef tallow. Even fat rendered from fatty ground beef. Got to have some fat if you want a stew to thicken. Not a issue if its soup i guess. You can certainly use a healthy oil instead but its not quite as good IMO. For a curry version just use a can of quality coconut milk. Lotta fat in a can of the better coconut milk like Mae Ploy. Makes a darn good curry too.

I agree on the fat. My stew meat was top round, very lean. My roast drippings had a nice white layer on top of the package, separated fat. I browned the meat in extra virgin garlic olive oil, chopped onions, and a couple minced cloves of garlic. My wife likes a stew, I like more of a soup, I whisked in a little starch to meet in the middle😀 When the soup/stew was done, the meat was pull apart tender, it came from a nice doe, probably not more than 2.5 yrs old.

Latest posts

Back