Volume measurements

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
For triple 7, when taking volume measurements, do you pour from the flask into the measurer and use this or do you tap the side of the measurer to settle the powder? The reason I ask is that my 100 grain volume loads weigh out to 77 grains actual. Most on here seem to be getting weights of 80 grains. I have a Clear View measurer with plastic swing top that knocks the powder off level with the top of the measurer.

To tap or not to tap.. that is the question. As long as you do the same thing time after time, that is all that is necessary. The main thing is be consistant.

MQ32shooter,as cayuga said above it's the consistancy that counts. If your gun likes 77grains(actual weight) 3 grains isn't gonna make much diffrence,if any! I set my measure on 120grs. for my inline. It may be actually 118,or 122 grs. makes no diffrence the gun performs well with that (volume) of powder. :D

The next ime I get t the range I am going to do a test to see how manvy grains + or - that it takes to make a difference in impact. I know if my center fire a couple gains can make a difference. I would think in a ML it will take at least 5grains. I also paln on doing a weight test vice volume.

Tony,your right! You WILL be suprized. Black powder,and subs aren't nearly as fussy as smokeless.

I TRIED IT

I was bored 1 rainy day last month. I got out my scale and threw 5 volume charges into the scale and they came out within 1 to 1.5 grains of each other. I made sure I was consistent with my technique. I also weighed out the 777 pellets and matched each pair to be as close as any other pair. They were within 2 grains of each other (pair). They didn't shoot any different than not matching them up. Still no success with 777 in my optima.

I shot 120 T7. I found if I set to 110 and settled the charge and then top it off I get better accuracy. I don't think a couple grains is that serious, but it is surprising how big a swing you can get between charges with just dumping a loose volume. Most of the time is seams to be very even, but I have seen it vary 5-grains or more. I can see the difference when settling it. I have seen it settle only about 3 or 4 grains and I have seen it settle more then 10 grains by volume.

Back