Warnings on Screw in tree step from Ameristep

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campgutter

Reaction score
Hope this hasn't happened to anyone else.

September 18, 2005 I had Sunday dinner with the family and decided to take an hour and go out and hang my last portable treestand. Not thinking much of the trip, I just went out in my jean shorts and T-shirt and took a bag of steps, my portable stand, and a limb saw on my 4-wheeler. This was only going to take an hour or so, I had the tree already picked out.

I screwed in my steps and started to clear branches. Up and down the tree a few times with no problems. Then, on my last trip down the tree, I caught my wedding ring on the last step before reaching the ground. I can't describe the feeling. Not the initial feeling, 'cause you don't really feel it. But, when you snap your finger back into the socket and role the skin back down from your last knuckle to the middle of your finger, it starts to really hurt bad (and bleed a lot). Needless to say, surgery and a miracle and I saved my finger. It was completely ripped off and I still own it. Lots of painful therapy.

I wrote the Ameristep company inquiring on their caution label. I wasn't looking to go after anyone with a lawsuit, this was my own fault and carelessness. I just wanted to get them to put a caution on the label to warn people to remove all jewelry etc. before using these steps (for guys who forget they are married for a few moments and head to the woods).

These are the fold-up type that have the boot grabbing (and rings!) claws on the top. The lawyer that called me said that the warning was there, but I can't find it on the packaging from my steps.

This is just a warning to all who use tree-steps of any kind. I use ladder stands now, and climbing sticks.

Anyone else had this problem, or have you seen this warning on the packaging? I hope that noone has had this happen to them - it really smartz.

Back