Way Late Range Report from July 5th

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post these results for a while now but had to go on travel for work and then other crap took over. Back on 5 July I had the chance to get back down to my hunting cabin and do some shooting.  I got down there about 9:30 AM but did not get started shooting until nearly 11:00.  Weather started out at around 79 degrees and got into the 90's by the time I was done. One thing for sure - never bring 5 muzzleloaders to shoot in the heat of summer!  I am certain the heat had some impact on my shooting as the day went on even though I let the barrel cool down between shots.  Range to the target was 80 yds.  Shooting that day consisted of the following rifles (in order used):

1.       CVA Wolf w/QRBP:  Black Thumbhole Stock/Blue Barrel w/Konus Pro 3-9 x 40 scope in a Durasight mount using 270 gr Platinum Powerbelt over 100gr of loose 777 fired by a Winchester primer.  Average muzzle velocity was 1693 fps.
2.       CVA Optima w/QRBP: Black Stock/Blue Barrel w/Weaver 3-9x40 scope in a Durasight mount the rifle came with using a 240gr XTP (.429 cal) in a Green Harvester Sabot over 90gr of loose Pyrodex fired by a Winchester Primer.  Average muzzle velocity was 1687 fps.
3.       CVA Wolf w/QRBP: Camo Stock/Blue Barrel w/Redfield Revenge 2-7 x 34 scope  in a Durasight mount using a 300gr XTP in a Black Harvester Crush Rib sabot over 2 White Hot pellets.
4.       Traditions Pursuit U/L: Reaper Camo Stock/Nickel barrel w/Redfield Revenge 2-7x34 scope in a DNZ mount shooting a 325gr FTX (.458 cal) over 100gr of loose Pyrodex and a Winchester primer.
5.       Traditions Pursuit U/L: Black Stock/Cerakote  barrel w/Weaver 2-7x scope in Traditions mount shooting a 260gr Scorpion PT in a Crush Rib sabot over 100gr of loose Pyrodex and a Winchester primer.

First up was the Thumbhole Wolf I previously had poor results with when I tried 200 gr bullets but showed some promise with 250 gr Powerbelt Aerolites.  Thinking heavier would be better; I decided to try some 270gr Powerbelt Platinums I had over 100gr of loose 777 with a Winchester primer.  Range to target this time was 80 yds. Shot 1 wasn’t too bad, a bit high and left so I made an adjustment to the right.  Shot two ended up dead center but two inches above the center (I was looking for 1 inch) so I attempted to lower the impact point on shot 3 by adjusting the scope down 5 clicks. After the shot I noticed the impact point had also moved to the right about an inch.  Thinking I had flinched on shot 3, I decided to shoot two more without adjusting the Konus Pro scope.  Shots 4 and 5 impacted right next to number 3 so I decided it wasn’t me flinching. Adjusting the scope another 5 clicks downward resulted in shots 6-8 landing at the height I wanted but still to the right so I adjusted the scope 5 clicks to the left and ended up with shot 9 which I where I wanted it to hit in the first place! After having success at shot 9, I decided to leave well enough alone and put the rifle up for the day.  The rifle was cooled down between each shot so I don’t think heat was the issue. I think the Konus scope, while bright and clear may have issues with windage and elevation adjustments. Scope mount is/was tight so I really think it is an issue with the scope adjustments.  If the point of impact remains steady the next time I shoot, I will keep the scope mounted, if not, I have another waiting in the wings.

Weather when I started. 

WeatherBug_zps4e1b011c.jpg

Setup
THWolf_zps7006f420.jpg

Target
THWolfTarget_zps3fc3573e.jpg

The second rifle was a Black/Blue Optima that I had not previously sighted in. It sports a Weaver scope (as does its twin) in the Durasight mount that came with the rifle. Shot 1 was about 3 inches to the right of the heart but I was happy with the height. After adjusting the scope to the left, shots 2 through 6 all landed in the heart so I decided not to mess with anything and just leave the scope alone.  I am okay with the group as is using this sabot/bullet combo, its not the best I have shot but acceptable at the ranges I typically get a shot at in our swamp/woods (less than 75 yds) but it is possible increasing the charge to 100gr of Pyrodex might tighten the group up some. For grins I decided to load up and shoot one of the .458 caliber 325gr FTX bullets I had; it landed 2 in low and 2 in to the right of where I was aiming. I had planned on shooting a couple more of them but realized I had only brought enough to try in my Traditions rifle.

Optima_zps149afe4b.jpg

240grXTP_zpsf3b1ca80.jpg

240grXTPTargetOptima_zpsc7d59007.jpg

great shooting!!

What surprises me is that 325gr bullet only has slightly less velocity. The powerbelt platinum skirt just doesnt hold up and seal like the old aerotip design.

Agree !

I 've seen with a friends Wolf that they really like 300+ gr bullets.

:D 

Great range report partner :) lots of great info :cheers: Thanks :!: :!: 

Ray..........;)

Thanks Gents! I am starting to really think about changing that Wolf from the 270 Powerbelts to maybe the 325 FTXs. Any thoughts?

Awesome range report jcampoli....very informative. 
-----------------------------
p.s. Nice shootin' too.  :!:  

Back