Wayles waylays a Magilla

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
wayles2.jpg

Wayles.jpg

Her ya go Wayles....tell us the story. :D

Nice Deer, Man!!

Bucks

Wide 8 pointer: It was 11:30 and daughter and I were setting at a picnic table having our traditional veina sausages. Our rifles lay on the table with the grub. This picnic table is located next to an old hunting cabin close to the North platte river. We had climbed out of our tree stands about 45 minutes earlier. Both of us had seen several bucks . I had called in a couple and so had daughter. Just about the time I was fixin to enjoy some cookies with my coffee a doe steped out of the russion olive brush line 150 yds away. We both spoted her about the same time. She stood looking at us . We were frozen. I whispered to daughter to get her gun up as there could very well be a buck behind the doe. I layed my hands on my gun also and we watched. The doe looked behind her and I told daughter to get ready there's one coming . Sure nuff the doe did the little stutter step forward 2or 3 yards kind of tucking her tail down and out he stepped. I told daughter to kill him as I could tell he was a shooter. From where she was setting she could not see him agin after he stood still. Her eyes are not quite as trained to picking them out of the brush as maby mine are or there was brush blocking her sight a little. She told me she could not see him. I told her I'm going to kill him then as his gaze was rivited on us and he was going to spook any second. I centered the cross hairs a few inches below the throat patch and shot him head on . He went stright down and never quivered. We wait a minute or two and go take a look . This is always a special time for us both as we some times get to hunt together out of ground blinds or hay stacks and love to see the other harvest a good animal A few hugs and high fives and it was picture taking time. He was a big old thick necked rascal [Old Rem. BDL 30-06 and 150 grain accubond bullet pushed by 60.5 grains of RL 19].............

We hunt a couple of more days and daughter see's lots of deer, but nothin she wants to pull the trigger on we set up in a good position to rattle and come daylight I began to call and use the horns. Bucks come in and I shut up as they are not the one we are lookin for. Then a dry spell till 9:30 and I snort wheeze and hit the horns agin. A buck passes thru a 5 yd wide opening about 90 yds away and I give out a loud bleat with my voice to stop him . I'm not quite quick enough and he gets thru the opening and into some more olive thickets. I figure I got his attention and he is stopped just inside the brush. We are setting behind a brush blind I built before season just for calling. Daughter has her gun on the sticks and I give out my sluty I'm over here big boy come and get me bleat. He circles to our left and pops out broadside at about 40 yds. Daughter nails him tight behind the shoulder and he makes it about 20 yds and piles up. More hugs and high fives and its picture takin time agin. Daughter shoots a little winchester model 70 featherweight 6mm. Hodgen 4831 sc pushing an 85 grain sierra HPBT. The buck is an old gnarly 5 point on one side with a massive fork and brow on the other. Base are 5.5 inches in dia. The neck and body were huge. He needed to come out of the gene pool with that fork.I have the 5 point side shed picked up while scouting last summer. Love huntin with my daughter

I liked it....great story.
My daughter would like to go with me one of these years. That would be nice.
Again...good deer, Wayles.

Thanks Spitpatch

Thanks Spit for posting those pics for me. I've got to learn to do that one day.
Wayles

Those are great bucks.... and an excellent story. Congratulations to both of you.

I have hunted for a monster buck all my life. I came close once, but refused to pull the trigger because the shot was all wrong. When I retired, I even sold my house and bought a house with land in the part of the state where buck bucks are shot on a more consistent basis. One of these days I am going to shoot a big one. One that I feel is a wall hanger.

I guess that is why we hunt. Not just for the excellent eating, but some day there is a chance we will see a monster in the woods... :D

Deer Pics

Cayuga
Those arn't really wall hangers but they are nice deer. You live in a good area for big bucks and I bet it happens for you one day. I have contented myself just to shoot mature bucks in the 3.5 years and up. Killed one that went 162 inches once and daughter got one at 160 inches her third year to deer hunt. I was rattling and he ran by her tree stand coming to the horns. I kid her about shootin my deer. Saw one this year that might go 160 but he was all broke up from fighting so I let him walk. I will try for him during bow season next year before he starts fighting. Good luck in your search for your monster.
Wayles

Wow, Wayles.....nice job again! Missed these from last year. Big ole boys!

Latest posts

Back