Weekend Simulation Training Results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Former posts have chronicled my daughter's quest into the hunting lifestyle and these have been some of the best days of my life. Last year, she missed the opportunity at her first buck as it trotted through the shooting lane. Too much Outdoor Channel led her to believe we would have minutes to set up.

This past weekend was too beautiful not to shoot so we ventured out with her Disc Elite for some simulation training. As you can see, I cut out a life size deer form and placed it out in our clover field. Without ranging, I had her run a 100 yard sprint, pick up her rifle and shoot off sticks as I counted aloud. She had to complete the shot within 20 seconds of touching the rifle. I played every trick in the book with the safeties, loading it without a primer, etc. to simulate any possibility of trouble for her to work through. Ultimately, she had to pick up the rifle, verify the primer, disengage both safeties, find the target, take aim, control her breathing and squeeze the trigger all in the 20 seconds. Here are the results of our experiment. The distance was a verified 139 yards and 159 yards respectfully. Her shots at 159 yards were high and when I asked her about it she said it looked to her that if she held dead on the bullet would hit the top of the clover. I shot a 5th shot myself from the same location and hit high as well.

GPractice1.jpg

gpractice3.jpg

Needless to say, I am a proud papa and look forward to this experiment at longer ranges. We're out of room here but will migrate up to my in-laws where we can really air it out. The loads were 100 grains of Black Mag 3 with a 200 grain shockwave. Neither of us can wait until this weekend to do it again!

Corpe Nimrod,

That is just awesome. I can attest that that exact load is very deadly, I have taken deer from 60 to 115 yards with that very load. None dropped on the spot, but none made it further than 60 yards either. If she places the bullets behind the shoulder you will have two blood trails, if it goes in the shoulder you might not have a blood trail.

Daughters listen to instruction well. My son is a good shot, but my daughter is a great shot.

Good luck with your daughter and hunting. Mine got all the way to the point of pulling the trigger her first year hunting, but just didn't have the heart to do it when the moment arrived. She still loves to shoot, and that is just fine by me. She will be 19 next month and is getting ready to start her second year of college. Enjoy those moments while you can, they sure grow up quick.

Thanks for the post on those targets, that is really reasonable. Gander Mountain has cardboard cutouts but they are selling them for 19.00. These will make for good shooting. With something like this, I could build a range to put her in all kinds of different scenario's. Going to have some fun with this!

I would have sat in my blind and waited for the cardboard to move into range. :wink:

Semisane said:
I looked at those targets Big6. They don't seem to have the one I need - a 90 lb. doe. :)

Get the pronghorn! :lol:

I actually shot those to get ready for a Wyoming pronghorn hunt! I guess it HELPED! :wink:

You are a lucky one. I have tried since my daughter was walking to get her interested in hunting. She is 13 now. She does go out with me scouting, sitting in blinds and etc. She likes being outdoors and (watching) me and my son hunt. But she insists she will never shoot an animal. Congrats on you and your daughter!

hunting

Mcee67, get a her a decent camera. My neice is the official photog person on hunts and it looks like my daughter who likes to shoot not hunt is heading the same way.

I was going to suggest the same thing. A friend of mine has a daughter that goes with us but videotapes our hunts instead of shooting. I asked my daughter as to why she liked the kill to try to find a way to motivate your daughter and she said primarily it was the adrenaline. We also eat nothing but wild game so she mentioned the fact that she enjoyed the reward of providing for the family. Don't give up and talk to her. My second daughter (10 yrs old) refused initially and after some time finally admitted that she wouldn't mind shooting the animal, just didn't think she could clean it and presumed that if she shot it, I would make her clean it. Now knowing that, I explained that I would be honored to clean it for her, and shared with her about a couple of hunting buddies that can't bring themselves to gut a deer that I help. By releasing all of that pressure I didn't know existed, I have seen her interest sky rocket!

Latest posts

Back