Weighing Powder for 150 years

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Although Volumetric is the most popular way to charge a rifle today, but we do also have pellets and reports of people weighing them.
With Volume and with todays shotguns the designation of Drams is in use and has been used much longer than Grains.
Here are 2 snips from articles from the 1860's noting the importance of weighing.
1 by Horatio Ross
1 by Metford

We don't do anything today that they didn't do back then.

Attachments

• Weight 1864.jpg
    Weight 1864.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 384
  • Weight 1867.jpg
    Weight 1867.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 384
I would venture to say there are actually more people weighing now than there ever has been. We, I we meaning us ML folks, are getting more and more rifle converts to ML shooting all the time. Many of these people have been reloading for years and even now as they convert to ML - they still believe the best is to weigh...

I must admit - I really did at first also but as the years have passed by I really only use Volume, and see zero adverse effects for hunting.

Nothing wrong with weighing the powder. The danger is a noob confusing a volume measurement giving and using it to weigh his charges. My opinion is all measurements on forums should be given in volume. If you weigh just keep it to yourself.

It's probably too late for that now. So, at the least, if you weigh and talk about it on forums you should state you're talking about a weight measurement.

i try to make it a point to designate weight or volume when i talk loads on the forums just seems safer to me.

I got it backwards. It's a volume load that a noob thinks is a weighed load that gets them in danger. I guess to be safe it should always be stated if a load is volume or weighed.

i would venture to say the op was meant more towards target shooting at 1000 yd. matches. not so much as for short range hunters

I'm sure he was, but a lot of hunters do it too now. Especially, if they reload CF ammo.

the catch is that with any hygroscopic powder (one that absorbs moisture, basically any but blackhorn for us) the weight can change with the season, and relative humidity. Moisture content it may or may not have absorbed, could vary weight measurements more, so in reality volume may be a more precise way.

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

so , if that is true . then cf shooters do not need to weigh their loads because of absorbing moisture

45cal said:
so , if that is true . then cf shooters do not need to weigh their loads because of absorbing moisture

Read Squeeze post again. I take that to mean, BP and subs are hygroscopic. Where as blackhorn and CF powders are not.

They have been doing it both ways since the beginning, do whatever makes you happy. I use both methods at times. Its like a chevy/ ford thing...or dodge :yeah:

Curious as to what degree of accuracy one can measure by Volume?
I can only think of 1 way to measure such accuracy.

52Bore said:
Curious as to what degree of accuracy one can measure by Volume?
I can only think of 1 way to measure such accuracy.

Lol I had to think about your post Rick . Pretty good point .

Squeeze please take no offense to my post . I didn't mean it in a negative way . I meant I was to dumb to understand his post . I had to think about his post . Obviously with a given lot of powder weighing your charges SHOULD be the most accurate . I have shot both ways . I honestly can't tell a difference . Jeff Fisk (Bestill) has shot more Blackhorn and long range than myself . To my knowledge Jeff measures by volume ..Jeff is kind of my Hero. I have learned a lot from Jeff. I normally weigh my loads but not always . I have measured my loads by volume then weighed my loads . If I'm careful measuring my loads by volume they are within a couple of tenths(By weight) . That's nothing 5 or 6 grains of powder . I'm sure I spill that much at times. I honestly don't think it matters all that much when dealing large doses of powder . This is just my opionion . I don't mean to step on ANYONES toes ! More than one way to skin a cat .

:D All good. My father used LOVE a good debate. He was a big guy, and was well respected among his peers. He liked and respected best, his friends that would sit and hash it out with him. Every so often, he would just get a certain furrow in his brow, and just start off a conversation. Sooner or later something good would pop up and off we go. Some of his circle were a little more timid, and they kind of got the second fiddle deal.

Latest posts

Back