Went To the Range Today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Checked the zero of my Encore today.

Distance:      75 yards
Gun:            TC Encore .50
Scope:         Zeiss 4X32
Bullet:         250 grain SST
Sabot:         Long black
Primer:        Winchester shotgun
Powder:      100 measure grains of Goex Pinnacle 3F

i have had a long love/hate affair with this gun.  The barrels did not fit because the barrel channel in the receiver was sloppy.    The gun rattled when shaken.   The receiver was re-worked in a machine shop.   It's now a good gun:  It's killed a hundred or so hogs and about 20 deer.  

Loaded  the gun with Goex Pinnacle 3F from a new container.  Fired a three shot group without swabbing.   Group measures about 2 1/4 inches.  These are the holes at 1, 4 and 6 o'clock.

Reloaded the gun with the Goex Pinnacle 3F that i sifted previously.  Fired three  more rounds without swabbing.   These are the three holes strung vertically and close together.  i will try weighed charges of my sifted Pinnacle.  

DSC01545.jpg

Moved the target to the 50 yard line and fired four rounds of patched round ball from my TC New Englander.  Powder was 80 grains of the sifted Goex Pinnacle 3F.  First round was a misfire, forgot to slap the stock in order to get powder into the flash hole.  Re-capped and had a long hangfire.  Could not find that hole in the target.  Fired three more rounds.  Yep, two bullets went through that upper hole.

DSC01547.jpg

Built two berms on the range early this morning.  One at 75 yards and the other at about 125 yards.  Need to build berms for 150 and 200 yard target stands.

DSC01549.jpg

Awesome range report falcon!...says a lot for consistent granule size and volume measurements.  It will be interesting when you try weighed charges of sifted Pinnacle.:) 

Good :shooter: there buddy :!:  Seems like your ready for the hunting season.

Ray............;)

Good report Falcon , that sifted powder really kicks ass !

Like your range as well !

"Like your range as well !"

Tnanks. Neglected it for years because there were other ranges closer to home. Then Ft. Sill closed the MB1 range. Ft. Sill has another private weapons range but it's a 40 mile round trip. My friend had a nice range 14 miles from here: Unfortunately, he sold the place.

We never fired centerfire rifles there because there were no berms and the property line is 75 yards past the 200 yard line. Now we can shoot centerfire rifles to 125 yards with no problems. The other two berms will be constructed when i build another pond.

When we first started shooting round balls i could sometimes hear them zing off somewhere: Never experienced that with conicals or saboted bullets. Became more careful after that.

The berm at our range is about 15 feet high and the range is about 600 yds long.

Only difference is we move our shooting line for every distance we want to shoot.

Back