Whacha got?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5010.jpg

12510.jpg

1895 marlin 45-70 shooting Winchester 300 grain ammo at 50 yards first target then 325 grain Hornady Leverevolution  ammo at 125 yards.  I am amazed that a lever gun can be this accurate.  Growing up, I was always told to go with a bolt action rifle for accuracy and that lever guns were for close range/thick timber. They were pie plate guns at 100 yards.

Hey' Tony.  With a little more work you might get that rifle shooting halfway decent.  :lol!:

I've fired, almost exclusively but not quite, Speer 400 grain JSP in my old Marlin 1895.  I load the cases with enough 3031 to get about 1800 fps with that bullet.  That load has killed many deer and has grouped 5 shots in 1" at 100 yards.  Couldn't do that now with anything I own.  Have fired a few factory 400 grn loads and some 300 and 350 grain bullets handloaded by someone else.  All my lever guns, except for the M99s, shoot nothing but flat or round nose bullets.

Winchester model 88 .284win......(1971)
    2nd. owner... my only lever.
    some very fine levers  gentlemen.....

WASATCH CHARLIE said:
That's one of the best in my book.  My old hunting pard back when they were new picked one up, and sure made my starving student self wish I had one.  He mounted a new Weaver K4 on it, and I personally saw him make first shot hits and kills from 10 yards out to over 400 yards.  How can you beat that?

WASATCH CHARLIE said:
    2nd. owner... my only lever.
    some very fine levers  gentlemen.....
I have owned several (new) Model 88's in .308, .264 and .284 lever guns, sold them to the family 40 years ago and they still have them. Between the 88's and their 94's they have been deer killing machines since day one.

Only one

I've only got the one Marlin 1895 blued gun in 45/70.  I absolutely suck with blade sights (it happens after 40+ years), so i did replace the stock one with an XS-ring sight and rail.  The optic is a 1-6x Leopold firedot.  I have also replaced the old trigger with the Wild West Guns 'happy trigger'.  The original was ok, but having it flop around just got on my OCD nerves.
a110.jpg

20160910.jpg

Love the kick of the bigger/slower rounds (400gr or more).  The lighter ones (~300 gr) shoot fine, but they just don't feel as nice to my shoulder.  Just did a recent load test on Beartooth Bullets 525gr 'Piledriver' projectile; makes your teeth rattle a bit, but shoot pretty well.  I've also loaded the FTX rounds and haven't had any issues with them, though I really don't use them much.  I figure 405gr lead is more than adequate for anything.  I also cast and powder coat my projectiles, so my shooting costs are pretty low...once you take away the reloading equipment initial cost!

Good lookin' handloads........casting and handloading is a big part of the sport......WC

I like levers, always have.  After selling 8 guns to help finance our move to Maine, I now have only 5 levers left; most I've had since the Earths crust cooled.  I've owned three Sav M99s, two in .308 and my pet 250/3000.  I've never sold a Marlin but have sold 2 Win 94s.  I will keep my older M94 "Trapper" 30/30.

Big Al here are some brass framed lever guns we have brought, traded for, swap or sold in the last 50 years. These were the better ones, my father always tried to stay in the NRA Excellent to Fine Condition. About the time he would get something neat that I liked, he sold or traded it for another one he liked.

brass_framed.jpg
The upgrading we went through seemed to never stop until he died in 1975. Every nickle he could save was spent on antique weapons or antique housewares used to trade for more weapons.

Hanshi said:
I like levers, always have.  After selling 8 guns to help finance our move to Maine, I now have only 5 levers left; most I've had since the Earths crust cooled.  I've owned three Sav M99s, two in .308 and my pet 250/3000.  I've never sold a Marlin but have sold 2 Win 94s.  I will keep my older M94 "Trapper" 30/30.
:lol!: By this time next year,you will be speaking FRENCH   ,if you live up north by the QUEBEC border.........
250-3000   that's the round I'd choose iffin I could only have one center fire.....
                         WC / Glenn

WASATCH CHARLIE said:
:lol!: By this time next year,you will be speaking FRENCH   ,if you live up north by the QUEBEC border.........
250-3000   that's the round I'd choose iffin I could only have one center fire.....
                         WC / Glenn

We are in the SE corner of Maine; you know, palm trees, mango and citrus trees.  The tropical area, ahem!

Like a dumb ass they have been sold through Cabela's about 8 years ago. Then bought more toys.

Well you are not the only one who has done that I know another guy real well who has done some of those same things.

Hanshi said:
I'm originally from Maine! One thing I can tell you about Maine is that you want to make sure you have a nice safe. The druggies will rob you and steal every one you have. They've been having drug problems up there for bout fifteen years now. It's still a great state to live. Ten years ago they cleaned me out because I thought my cellar (and my street) was secure. The first thing I bought after that was my safe, and THEN I started replacing my rifles. I have a Marlin 336C converted essentially to a Guide Gun, with a big loop Lever and a Leupold 2 X 7 scope mounted on top. I have a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun with a big loop lever and the same scope on top. Each has a lot of little extras, like the Wild West trigger-happy kits and knurled thumb bars for the hammers. I have a 1957 Winchester Model 94 in excellent shape. They're all shooters, and will put a bullet inside a 1-inch diamond every time. The Winchester has iron-sights, but the rear sight is a Williams loop and the front is a fiberoptic, so it still stays tight at 100 yards.  I'd like to have these same calibers in Stainless.
BTW, I've used the Hornady Lever Revolutions in my 45-70 from the start, and I've had zero problems with them. That's why those tips are a fairly soft plastic. They're soft so they won't set off the round in front of them. On any other bullet that nose would make it a ballistic round, but on those chubby 45-70 rounds their initial purpose is to keep peace inside the magazine.

I was just outside of Bangor near Newport / Plymouth. What part of Maine did you land in?
Jim

Jim, I'm in Gardiner.  It's a nice place, but being small it lacks a couple of activities I engage in.  Good gun club here and that's very important.  I'm also planning to join a ML organization.

I've always worried about thieves & druggies.  Don't actually have a safe.  Cost is the problem.  Also there is no where to put one.  We have a basement but the only entrance would not be safe or easy to use.  But I do my best with what little I do have.  Tom

put a plywood area around your gun safe when you leave. the plywood will have hundreds of sharp nails pointing up then put a thin throw rug over the nails pointing up. when they step on that they will forget getting into you safe. spray the nails with a nice coat of pepper spray. if i caught some one in my house i would say your not going to jail but your going to be in rehab for a looooooooong time.

Hanshi said:
Jim, I'm in Gardiner.  It's a nice place, but being small it lacks a couple of activities I engage in.  Good gun club here and that's very important.  I'm also planning to join a ML organization.

I've always worried about thieves & druggies.  Don't actually have a safe.  Cost is the problem.  Also there is no where to put one.  We have a basement but the only entrance would not be safe or easy to use.  But I do my best with what little I do have.  Tom
That's often the case these days, what with the lousy economy everywhere - especially Maine. I think it's # 50 out of 50 right now, or pretty darn close. Still, once you look past the economy, it's a great state. My favorite, in fact.

That leaves building a hidden space in the wall that's not obvious to the casual observer. I have a friend who rebuilt his closet so that you look into it and can't tell there's a door in the wall. Same wall that's facing out into the bedroom. You have to reach into the closet and off to the side to open the door into the closet area. He used those catches that kitchen cabinets have; you push the panel in and then it pops open. It's almost seamless. He spent some time making it as invisible as possible. If you were to go into the closet with a flashlight, you still wouldn't notice anything. The wall is a little thicker than it should be from front to back, but not enough to draw attention to it. I think the best part about this setup is that the guns are accessible with a quick push on the panel, and it's not expensive to build. You use ordinary kitchen cabinet hardware.
A girl I knew in High School described the one she built to me. She made one in her bedroom that was nearly the same, on a wall that was covered in Wanescoting beadboard, and with all the vertical lines, she says it's impossible to tell. She used the same push-pop latches as the other guy.
My apologies for going off-topic!  I suppose I should mention that besides my 336C 30-30, I also have a 45-70 Guide gun almost identical to Tony's Thunderstick 1895 Marlin 45-70 Big Loop; mine's an 1895 GBL, though I can't tell what he has for a scope. Mine's a Leupold 2 X 7 X 33 Rifleman scope, great for a brush gun like that, and still perfect at a hundred yards. I call it The Sledge Hammer, because it knocks 'em down hard.  Like Tony, I use the Hornady Leverrevolutions 325 rounds, which do the job just fine. Put a 400 or 500 grain round in it, and it's a total Sledge Hammer. It doesn't kick; I would describe it as a shove. That's with the 325s. It's a considerably harder shove with the 400 or 500 grain bullets.

Dead-Eye said:
That's often the case these days, what with the lousy economy everywhere - especially Maine. I think it's # 50 out of 50 right now, or pretty darn close. Still, once you look past the economy, it's a great state. My favorite, in fact. 
That's interesting as we have the lowest unemployment rate in 30-40 years in the USA. Those that aren't working don't want to work.  In CO and UT there are "Hiring Signs" everywhere. The construction trades are bringing in laborers from Mexico (using the green card program in record numbers). Where I live kids flipping hamburgers are making up to $12 an hour, starting wage with any skills is $15 an hour. I was offered $20 an hour to work part time for a local gunshop. 

This area is growing like a wildfire with CA, TX and AZ tech folks pouring in, housing shortages as well as apartments.   :ttups:  

CA firms like Adobe, Microsoft, HP and several other computer outfits have new buildings in Lehi employing 1,000's and more coming.

Back