Whacha got?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a shot of my somewhat tricked-out 45-70 1895 GBL Blued Guide Gun. Happy Trigger kit makes the trigger a sweet 2+ pound pull, just right. 2 X 7 X 33 Leupold Rifleman scope mounted using low-profile mounts on a Picatinny rail system, aided with a hammer tab because of the close proximity of the hammer to the scope. Also, quick-pop lens covers for rainy locales (I last lived in Washington State, where "It's raining" is pretty much the same as "It's daytime," so they were a helpful accessory. I stoned all of the inside surfaces to smooth out the cycling action, and you would have to cycle it to know just how sweet the action is now. I also rounded all the edges of the big loop so that it's comfortable in every configuration.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/19/55/51/07/marlin12.jpg

Thanks. I still want to have the big loop professionally blued to match the rest of the receiver more closely. Looking at the photo you can tell it's not the same rich, glossy blue as the main receiver. The difference is easier to see in the photo than it is with the naked eye.
Otherwise, it's about as close to just-right as I could wish for. The 45-70 Government is a good bit heavier than my 336C 30-30, which I have set up almost identically. After a long day of walking, the few extra pounds are real noticeable, but it was me who opted for the scope and rail mount. It does give me extra range when I need it, and it's a good feeling knowing you've got all the firepower you could possibly need right there slung over your shoulder! 
I'm trying to find the photos of my 30-30.

I found this photo of my Marlin 336C 30-30 with the same setup. It's an insurance photo, so it's not the best quality. I hope you can see it okay.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/19/55/51/07/30-30_10.jpg

And my circa 1976-1978 CVA Mountain Rifle, built from a CVA kit by a dear friend of mine, which he took hunting and took multiple deer (Texas) every year  - almost 40 years straight, until he traded it to me in 2015. Over the years he found some nice brass accessories for it, and a great scrolled trigger guard. I promised I'd keep it in my family. No problem with that. I have a Neice-in-Law (is that a real thing?) who would love to have it. She's a Canadian, a hunter, and she's a shooter!

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/19/55/51/07/cva_ha10.jpg

Buck Conner said:
Dead-Eye said:
That's often the case these days, what with the lousy economy everywhere - especially Maine. I think it's # 50 out of 50 right now, or pretty darn close. Still, once you look past the economy, it's a great state. My favorite, in fact. 
That's interesting as we have the lowest unemployment rate in 30-40 years in the USA. Those that aren't working don't want to work.  In CO and UT there are "Hiring Signs" everywhere. The construction trades are bringing in laborers from Mexico (using the green card program in record numbers). Where I live kids flipping hamburgers are making up to $12 an hour, starting wage with any skills is $15 an hour. I was offered $20 an hour to work part time for a local gunshop. 

This area is growing like a wildfire with CA, TX and AZ tech folks pouring in, housing shortages as well as apartments.   :ttups:  

CA firms like Adobe, Microsoft, HP and several other computer outfits have new buildings in Lehi employing 1,000's and more coming.
------------------
Hi Buck,
Maine became a Mecca for the welfare culture a good twenty years ago or more, and by the time I left the state in 2008, there were very close to as many on the dole (that's how it's referred to in Maine) as there were people working jobs. There's no way any state can support such a top-heavy financial structure. I didn't want to leave the state, but the writing was certainly on the wall, and home invasions and robbery were becoming commonplace. In fact, just before we moved, our house was robbed, and they got all my guns. The drug culture has grown unabated since then, and I'm told that the politicians haven't done a thing to solve the welfare problem. As you might imagine, there are a hundred contributing factors; all of those also not addressed.
There's a (gorgeous) house there that was for sale in the mid-90's for $400,000.00, and right now they're trying to sell the same house (still gorgeous) for $59,000 with not so much as a nibble. I gave some thought to going back, but I think it's a valid fear I have of being robbed again once I got back there.  

Hanshi, you're there in Gardiner. Maybe you have some current insight you could lend to this? I was going to ask you what activities you engage in that you can't find. I know every inch of the state north of Portland, so I might be able to help.

Jim

Dead-Eye said:
Hi Buck,
Maine became a Mecca for the welfare culture a good twenty years ago or more, and by the time I left the state in 2008, there were very close to as many on the dole (that's how it's referred to in Maine) as there were people working jobs. There's no way any state can support such a top-heavy financial structure. I didn't want to leave the state, but the writing was certainly on the wall, and home invasions and robbery were becoming commonplace. In fact, just before we moved, our house was robbed, and they got all my guns. The drug culture has grown unabated since then, and I'm told that the politicians haven't done a thing to solve the welfare problem. As you might imagine, there are a hundred contributing factors; all of those also not addressed.
There's a (gorgeous) house there that was for sale in the mid-90's for $400,000.00, and right now they're trying to sell the same house (still gorgeous) for $59,000 with not so much as a nibble. I gave some thought to going back, but I think it's a valid fear I have of being robbed again once I got back there. 

Jim
Here housing prices have been jumping up every few months because of the shortage, every where you look is either steel (business) or new wood (resident) buildings going up. Land is at a high as are the buildings (hottest market in the lower 48). 

All you see on the highways are vehicles from other states looking, high paying jobs, lots of work and the people in the know say it will continue for the next 3-5 years before leveling off. Oh, major construction on the Interstates going from 4 lanes each direction to 6 lanes each way, real pain at rush hour.  But once out of town your back to country with lots of mountain ground and farm land which won't last very long.

Utah use to be the asshole of the world but now it's the in-place to be because it's cheaper than the east or west coast.

Those dam druggies are everywhere !!!!! We have lived on the outskirts of a town of about 75,000.
for over 30 years.....its known that my bit of land is PELEGRO /DANGEROUS for criminals and I am left alone.....(.I do offer cold water to the ELDERS of the L.D.S or the J.Ws on hot summer days).
my.ex. moved from ALASKA about 6-7 years ago to east central FLORIDA..... same problem with the criminals and druggies......so its a ''sign of the times''.!!!  I live and let live  BUT WHATS MINE is MINE...
Bought and paid for.....If someone asks for help,i'm glad to help how I can.....BUT I can't abide  drugs,liars and thieves.  Recon I'm just getting old and grumpy !!!

Since this thread is a bit wide ranging in scope, I'll mention a little on the various topics that popped up.  I'm a little guy but mostly immune to recoil.  This is NOT because I'm tough, but because <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a>.  I don't offer much resistance and my whole body moves.
<a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a>.  I think it's my brain.  I shoot, get kicked around and never              notice but it's only
       the next day that I feel pain and see bruises.
<a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a>.  I've owned and fired/hunted with .338 mag, .375H&Hs and a         .458 Win mag.

Family problems?  My mother and I were abused by a stepfather & his family, early on.  My real father deserted us and had nothing to do with me as did that whole side of the family; they were strangers to me.  Around 12 years ago they started reaching out to me and I know quite a few of them now.  After the abuse, my maternal grandmother raised me and she was my "rock".

One uncle, though, did keep in touch with me and he was a wonderful, loving man.  He died at age 104.  My sister was adopted out when I was about 8 & she was maybe 18 months.  I was finally able to trace her some 12 years ago and she had never been told she had a brother.  We are now very close.

It pained me a great deal to have to sell my M99A .308, Win 94 .45 Colt, Remington Nylon 66 andmy beautiful Remington 700 classic in .257R.  The others I didn't mind so very much.  The M99A .250 will be buried with me.  I've killed (many) deer with a .22Hornet, .243, .250 Sav, .257R, .308, 30/06, .338 mag, .350 Rem mag, .270, .45/70, .44mag, 30/30 and others.  Revolvers took deer: a .357 S&W M19, a S&W M686 .357, a Ruger BH .41mag and a .44mag Super BlackHawk.  And then Muzzleloaders in .45, .50, .54 and .62.  Most of this was in the deer hunting Mecca of Georgia, where I was born & bred and lived for 62 years.

GREETINGS  HANSHI,

VERY SORRY I MISSED YOUR THREAD........
SOME OF US  HAVE JUST LED A PRETTY CAREFREE LIFE..... ESCAPING MAJOR  ISSUES BY DUMB LUCK, GODS HELP OR JUST TO STUPID TO SEE THE DANGER.........
  MY GRAND PARENTS RAISED ME..IN THE COUNTRY IN QUEBEC.....HE WAS  A  PROFESSIONAL
SOLDIER AND AN ''ORIGINAL'' MEMBER OF THE 13TH.BTL./ 42 REG. ROYAL HIGHLANDERS
   BLACK WATCH......A ''SMALL''MAN IN HEIGHT ONLY, 5'5''  (he always said 5'  6'')
AFTER SURVIVING GAS IN 1915 AT YPRES, NOTHING COULD DO  HIM IN   ....DIED AT 99.
HE WAS MY MENTOR AND BEST FRIEND.......I MISS HIM DEARLY.
 MY WIFE WAS ADOPTED AND SHE WAS IN HER 50's WHEN SHE FINALLY  FOUND HER  BIRTH MOTHER.... SHE LIVED ABOUT 40 MINUTES FROM WHERE WIFE LIVED IN QUEBEC....
  LIFE AIN'T FAIR SOMETIMES....... THE OLDER I GET,THE MORE THANKFUL;L I AM OF MY FORTUNATE LIFE.
       A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
                                     GLENN

Charlie, pretty much ALL my existence can be traced back to DUMB luck, with the emphasis on DUMB.  I really don't quite know whether to be delighted or astonished that I made it this far.  Don't guess it matters in the end.  I think it's a matter of momentum; once you get going it's almost impossible to slow down, much less stop.  Merry Christmas and a safe & prosperous New Year.

Latest posts

Back