What’s everyone hunting this year?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
So, what’s everyone’s hunting plans for this year?  All my hunts are in Colorado this year.  I have a doe antelope tag for the September archery season. Then a 2nd rifle season bull tag in October for unit 61 that’s taken me years of applying & acquiring points to get. And I’ll wrap up my season with a 3rd rifle season buck tag in November. Helping a friend with a rifle season antelope buck tag in South Park too and maybe helping on a bear hunt. Should be busy as usual... but a lot of fun too!

Archery elk in September first.  Unused bear tag that's open during that time, would take one if the opportunity presents itself, been wanting to try to render down some bear fat for patch lube trials.
Then general season whitetail opens in October, there is no "muzzleloader only" season but this is what I mainly use the renegade for.
If unsuccessful for archery elk, my tag is good for a muzzleloader only season in December for cow or spike.  I always hunt this if a tag is still in my pocket.

Bear with .54 PRB. Stalking is all we can do in Colorado.

I've lost my desire to kill elk and deer. Just predators now. Bear and coyotes.

I've got an anterless elk hunt and a altlered deer hunt at the same time, end of Oct. They are in adjacent units so I'll hunt elk in the morning and deer in the afternoon, I'll also be carrying my lion and bear tags.

Co Hi country I will be in youre area as I have been for the last few years with an either sex elk tag for first rifle season and a deer tag for second rifle season. Usually hunt up by independence mountain. Tried that with muzzleloader season a couple times but with all the archery hunters just flat gave up.

Nothing again this year. This will make 5 years. Might as well get use to it.

I’m looking at my Sidelocks.

oneshot

Sept 6-12 Archery Elk, I went B Tag this year which is Geared toward Rifle, so I only get 6 Archery Days. 

2 Bear Tags (if i choose to hunt for 2 of them, doubtful i will, 1 is enough) Fall Bear starts Aug 30th and goes through Oct 31st.

Oct-10th Opening Day For Rifle Whitetail Deer, and Rifle Elk. My main focus is a TROPHY Class Whitetail Buck and will be where most of my time is spent, But if i see a Bull Elk, or a Bear i can Take either. I drew an Extra Whitetail Doe Tag this Year, Gonna try and get that Hunt on Video with 1 of Sidelock Muzzleloaders, Probably 1 of my .45 Cals, and likely My Rice 1:20 Twist over my GM LRH .45 

If i don’t get an Elk above, Dec 2nd through the 8th is Cow Elk ONLY, Muzzleloader ONLY, 1 mile of Private Land. This will be with 1 of Sidelock Muzzleloaders, Since i killed an Elk with my .50 LRH Last Year, i will probably use my .54 LRH this year  :Red tup: This is kind of a neat hunt in a way, you have to know the area well, They just Re Defined the 1 mile of Private land deal, It can’t just be any Private land anymore, it has to be Actively Cultivated in the last year, Pasture land, Crop land etc.

My archery deer season starts on October 7th and goes through November 30th. This year I plan to use only my traditional selfbows.
After that rifle season starts and goes to December 31st. I still have one remaining virgin muzzleloader in my gun case, my .45 CVA Kodiak Pro., which has yet to drop a deer. If Mother Nature permits I'm looking forward to hunting with snow cover under foot. I really enjoy picking up a fresh snow tract and still hunting the day.

Flying to Fairbanks Sept 7th to hook up with 3 buddies for a DIY moose/ caribou hunt. Black bear and wolf will be on the menu as well.(Non res can't shoot griz unless guided.) We will drive toward the Yukon border and set up camp in an area that looks good.
After that it is back home for whitetails, whitetails and more whitetails.

Same as MattRaymond. Deer, squirrels, and turkey out my back door. I haven't traveled to hunt in about five years.

-Joe

JLBSparks said:
Same as MattRaymond. Deer, squirrels, and turkey out my back door. I haven't traveled to hunt in about five years.

-Joe
Hey Joe hows the weather been in Dickson Tennessee, was there years ago to hunt turkey with an old friend, now passed on.

Nearly 100* for over a week, then a downpour yesterday brought in a cool front. Only 80ish today.

-Joe

We're into the third week of above normal hot weather, Monday we broke a record at 104 - I stayed inside all day.

Hogs,Coons,Coyotes. Bobcats,Deer,Doves,and hoping to get back to Canada next spring for another Black Bear hunt. Im with you right now Buck its too Damn hot down here to venture out .

Fort Sill deer muzzleloader season will open on/about 15 October. OK deer muzzleloader season will open on 26 October, deer gun season on 23 November. There is also a holiday doe season in late December. Maybe i'll luck out and draw a Fort Sill elk tag.

Will continue to hunt hogs weekly. Shot a huge boar earlier this week. Nailed him in the chest with a patched round ball from my TC Fire Hawk at about 60 yards. Heard him crash in the bush 75-100 yards distance. It was night time and i don't mess with big hogs shot after dark.

Coyotes are always fair game as are bobcats and raccoons, in season.

This fall i will hunt more often with a conventional muzzleloader.

Coyotes.  I am on an island where you can't hunt with a modern rifle. I can do better with my muzzleloader than I can with a modern shotgun.

Back