What’s everyone hunting this year?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to health issues I haven't hunted as often as I would have liked to the past few years.  IF I can get out this fall I hope to get a deer with my "still unchristened" .50 longrifle.  Along with a buck - I've applied for the doe permit lottery - maybe a doe.  I've been wanting a turkey for a while, now, and might luck out.  Let's not forget squirrels, they trained me to hunt way back when I was a kid.  I refuse to hunt and shoot bears.  Just a very personal thing because I'd feel awful if I killed one.  Of course something unlikely might occur to change that.  And that still leaves bobcats.  I killed them with muzzleloaders and saw many that I did not shoot down in my native Georgia.  I've already shot enough coons to last me a lifetime.  Saw lots of foxes there and in Virginia but just didn't have a desire to shoot at them.  Coyotes?  Well, we were overrun with them in Ga but I only shot one.  Up here I consider them fair game.

YI’ll be going after whitetail buck with bow/crossbow early fall but will go after small game with .32 Pedersoli Frontier flintlock and TC N.E. 12 g shotgun. 
Home for thanksgiving so maybe a moose with my TC .54 Hawken perc and a Lyman Plains bullet.  
Getting closer now, archery here in Alberta Canada starting 25 Aug. 
Best of luck to all those heading out this fall, keeping it real.

Sgt Recoil said:
YI’ll be going after whitetail buck with bow/crossbow early fall but will go after small game with .32 Pedersoli Frontier flintlock and TC N.E. 12 g shotgun. 
Home for thanksgiving so maybe a moose with my TC .54 Hawken perc and a Lyman Plains bullet.  
Getting closer now, archery here in Alberta Canada starting 25 Aug. 
Best of luck to all those heading out this fall, keeping it real.
Wow...that's an early archery season.  Good luck hunting in the warmer weather.

I will hopefully be headed to Kentucky for whitetail. 
I may get to hunt in Tennessee for whitetail as well. 
If I get the chance, I will go for ferrel hog in Florida. 
I am trying to get some old friends to go fishing for grouper in Florida. 
I would like to go after some lion fish in Florida. 
(Lion fish are tricky as I need to find a scuba buddy that spear fishes who also does not mind a spear fishing newbie)

I will likely be using my new Knight Wolverine .50 on the deer.
I will likely be using my 'new-to-me' Ruger .308 WIN that I bought from Palehorse on the hogs.

This season, I have no dog as I lost Phoenix (Welsh Springer Spaniel) this Spring and don't have the heart to get another one.

If my leg allows, some quail hunting, dove shooting, I did get drawn for deer here in so. Az.

I drew a cow elk tag and will be shooting my T/C .50 bored out to .54 1/66 PRB. (by Mr. Hoyt)
Currently working up a load combo for it. My best so far is 70g's Pyro RS, .18 patch & .530 ball, but still working up the powder G's until satisfied I have the best combo.
MikeW

Dad and brother drew doe tags and I drew a buck tag for muzzleloader season.

My dad and I shoot 70gr 3fg, .490" round ball and my brother will shoot 80gr 3fg, .530 round ball.

FrontierGander said:
Dad and brother drew doe tags and I drew a buck tag for muzzleloader season.

My dad and I shoot 70gr 3fg, .490" round ball and my brother will shoot 80gr 3fg, .530 round ball.
Here in Alberta Canada it’s opposite. 1 deer tag is good for doe or buck. Then you can get a supplemental tag for doe. 
My .54 load is the same as your Bro’s. 
Good luck!

I have been shooting 70gr - 3FFF, .490" round ball, .018 pillow tick daisy patches in my two GRRW rifles and now in the three GRRW.CA guns. Have a shooting bag for each but only use one for all the guns, makes life much easier. The GRRW.CA Northwest Trade Gun (smoothbore) does very well with this load for grouping and knock down power.

Back