What Am I Gonna Be When I Grow Up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious why you tighten it for the first shot.
As I understand things, with any new CVA QRBP breech plug, year 2010 to present, the purpose of using the supplied L-shaped wrench to initially tighten the breech plug into the barrel is to create a metal-to-metal interface between the nose of the breech plug, and the rear face of the barrel where the two surfaces seat together.

I believe that by initially crushing the two, kinda fragile, surfaces together one is supposed to try and create a metal-to-metal seal. This is supposed to allow for all future installations of the breech plug to be accomplished with only finger pressure. And, to supposedly reduce/eliminate blowback.

Yeah, my Accura plug gets tight really fast and I hate the wrench that came with the gun. Hits the stock and the scope
So the question I have is- WHY does your B Plug get tight when shooting? I ask because I haven't run into that problem......yet. You know.... an ounce of prevention, etc. :rolleyes: Especially an Accura, having a more refined barrel than the Optimas or Wolf (WOOFS?).

Last edited:
So the question I have is- WHY does your B Plug get tight when shooting? I ask because I haven't run into that problem......yet. You know.... an ounce of prevention, etc. :rolleyes: Especially an Accura, having a more refined barrel than the Optimas or Wolf (WOOFS?).
My BH plug has gas cutting around the sealing surface letting fouling into the threads. I don’t know if I didn’t do the initial tightening tight enough or if there was a defect in it to begin with. I do know it’s tight to get it out.

Back