What bullets??!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it looks as if I may have a Brux barrel 1:20 twist that will be coming my way shortly from Woodsman. It is a drop in for my TC Omega. What bullets are you shooting from your smokeless muzzleloaders? Do they need to
Be sized? Still new to smokeless muzzleloaders so any and all help is appreciated.

Your best bet is to buy a sizing die and learn to size bullets properly. It'll benefit you in the long run.

I've shot most of the modern bullets for SML, Fury, Arrowhead and Pittman. All good bullets. The Fury are hard to beat hunting bullets. For extreme accuracy from my rifle, I've found that the Arrowhead XLD's shoot the most accurate and are accurate at LONG range (1,000yds). I've had decent accuracy with both the 275gr and 300gr Pittman Accumax bullets. I have not hunted with the Pittman bullets.
My new favorite is the Arrowhead 350gr XLD.

i noticed on their page for that bullet they say "If you’re buying for a 45cal Brux or similar barrel, you may want to check out the new XLD No Sizing Required bullets" . am i correct to assume (i know) that actual sizing will be more accurate at very long distances and that their no sizing required will do fine for a few to maybe several hundred yards ?
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/arrowhead-45cal-x-ld-bullets/

I'd suggest you try the NSR bullets in your Brux and they'll likely be fine. Everyone that I 'currently' know of that are shooting the NSR have exceptional luck.

Sizing for SML doesn't have to be a science :) like it could be when shooting BH209. Testing in SML rifles indicates that loading forces have no affect on accuracy or velocity. However, that is different if shooting BH, where tighter is better.

Fury really needs to test a .450 bullet with .002 knurling. I bet that would work in lots of the better barrels that are under .451 lands.

I would only do 2 rows instead of the 3 on the 50cal version. It just looks like it would work. I know ive knurled up that much over lands with excellent luck.

Leave the area closest to the base without any to make them easy to start. The pics of his 50s look like 3 rollers do the knurling. Just use 2. :D
385.png

Last edited:
I bet your gun is going to shoot any of the sizable performance bullets Pitman ,Arrowhead and yes Fury I would put in a word for the 270 Northern Precision pinpoint especially his bonded version ,open tip. The fury 250s 265 and 275 are going to be great hunting choices and you're going to have the option to shoot Fury's 225 or 240 or 250 40 cal in a light blue sabot. You really have endless choices I bet you're going to have multiple loads of shoot less than an inch

200 yards would be the farthest I would be shooting. This will be a hunting rifle, but may get into some longer distances if I join a shooting club.
If it was me, for 200 yards or less, l would buy some N110, Maine wool wads, HLBS, and some 225gr bullets (Fury, Pittman, etc). Put a knurl on the bullet of choice. Start around 30gr and work up to around 35gr. or maybe alittle more. I think you would find a accurate, low recoil deer killing load, but then again it's not me....

If it was me, for 200 yards or less, l would buy some N110, Maine wool wads, HLBS, and some 225gr bullets (Fury, Pittman, etc). Put a knurl on the bullet of choice. Start around 30gr and work up to around 35gr. or maybe alittle more. I think you would find a accurate, low recoil deer killing load, but then again it's not me....

A few questions.

Dry wads or lubed?

What is a HLBS? I assume a bullet sizer

Sizing for SML doesn't have to be a science :) like it could be when shooting BH209. Testing in SML rifles indicates that loading forces have no affect on accuracy or velocity. However, that is different if shooting BH, where tighter is better.
thats very handy to know . is 777 fffg powder as sensitive to sizing as BH209 ?

i feel much more comfortable with sizing bullets for smokeless use knowing i don't have to be critical . if the pressure to push the bullet down the barrel is similar to the pressure to push a sabboted bullet down the barrel should that be tight enough to be sure the bullet doesn't move off the wad ?

Honestly, I've never sized bullets for shooting with T7. I ... assume .... that with T7 you'll have to size the bullets 'slightly' smaller, which might be caused by the extra fouling in the barrel. Certainly you'd have a crud ring to deal with I'm sure.
I'm not one for the "two finger" bullet loading forces. To each their own on that. I size in a CLEAN barrel to right around 10# (I have precision equipment to measure with), and that puts me about 19-22# in a fouled barrel. Enough that the wad and bullet will remain on the propellant.

Back