What bullets??!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what difference in use is there between wool vs vegie vs dry wads ? is either better with black powder (subs) vs smokless powder or medium to heavy loads or bullets ?

what difference in use is there between wool vs vegie vs dry wads ? is either better with black powder (subs) vs smokless powder or medium to heavy loads or bullets ?
You just wont know which yours likes until you try but i highly recommend getting some .460 x .060 poly and veggie wads when placing a Fury order. He offers small packs so you wont have to buy 1000 of them.
https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/sabots-wads-and-accessories/50-cal-poly-wads/https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/sabots-wads-and-accessories/40-cal-vegetable-fiber-wads/
Them poly wads seal up the tightest and if you like them they are cheap. Veggie is the most "eco friendly". They will decay so that could be better for some people. They seal good too and they are cheap.

Wool are most expensive and i seldom use them for sabotless but they are good for protecting a sabot when tinkering with loads. Good to try with conical too if veggie are not grouping.

Last edited:
thanks again . saves me money you can help me spend later :dance:

since you mentioned the fury bullets . are the star tip better that their pointy plastic tip versions ? or does it come down to preference ?

Ask Dennis (Fury Custom Bullet) on Facebook about the ST vs the ST2 BC difference. You might be paying for something you will never need such as a couple points of BC. The other thing that comes to mind is the ST2 is .402 so either have them sized smaller or they might be a tad tight......

Where as the ST is a 40cal and the "sabot knurl" will give a little more grab without as much effort to load them. Ask Dennis the OD of the ST with the knurl.

https://www.facebook.com/FuryCustomBullets/

I ordered the test pack of the Arrowhead NSR bullets in 275g. Is there a need for a wad between the bullet and powder? Also, what would be a good starting load? I have IMR4198, Reloder 7, H4895, a little H4198 and will have some N120 soon.

I ordered the test pack of the Arrowhead NSR bullets in 275g. Is there a need for a wad between the bullet and powder? Also, what would be a good starting load? I have IMR4198, Reloder 7, H4895, a little H4198 and will have some N120 soon.
I would recommend starting with the imr4198 at maybe 50gr. Work up to 55-56 and see

The big problem with loads like 50gr of 4198.................Well, if you shoot a 200gr bullet, its only making about 23-24kpsi. The burn efficiency is pretty bad until you can get that to about 26-28kpsi.

So how much powder is that?......Well 60gr 4198 or 63gr Re7 and a 200gr (sabot load) aint even breaking 29kpsi. This is why i say the 240-250gr Fury can actually help get that peak up a little. Re7 needs less peak to burn well but its rated slightly slower on the burn rate chart than 4198.

Its a shame the guys that were doing traces didnt have any 225-250gr 40cals to test back then.

The big problem with loads like 50gr of 4198.................Well, if you shoot a 200gr bullet, its only making about 23-24kpsi. The burn efficiency is pretty bad until you can get that to about 26-28kpsi.

So how much powder is that?......Well 60gr 4198 or 63gr Re7 and a 200gr (sabot load) aint even breaking 29kpsi. This is why i say the 240-250gr Fury can actually help get that peak up a little. Re7 needs less peak to burn well but its rated slightly slower on the burn rate chart than 4198.

Its a shame the guys that were doing traces didnt have any 225-250gr 40cals to test back then.
But he wants to shoot a 275 so i think a 50gr start might work ok.

Back