What cal. for an Apex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a new Apex and want to purchase a rifle barrel for it while they are on sale at Cabelas. I want to hunt coyotes and maybe someday, deer and antelope with it. Would a .243 cal be small enough for yotes and big enough for deer? The min. cal. for deer in Iowa is .240, so thats why I was looking at this cal.

.243 will be fine for whitetails.

I've been known to use a lil more gun then is necessary, and I recommend new hunters to go for .30 cal if the recoil doesn't bother them. I am very fond of the .280 and up.

308 Winchester unless you want to shoot heavier 30cals. I prefer it over 30-06 mainly in bolt actions because of the shorter action but its ballistics are so close to a 30-06 with many loads i prefer it...im biased though since i have a surplus of Lake City brass too. :D

270 would be cool too.

If i ever get one though it will be a 45ML/45-70 combo :D

Rifle in Iowa is a late season doe thing, right? For mostly coyotes and some deer hunting, the .243 is perfect.

If we're emphasizing deer hunting, with a little coyote hunting on the side, I like the .270 or '06.

Yes, bottom counties in Jan. is the only time rifles are allowed. Thanks for the info. everyone. I got the .243 cal barrel. I thought about bigger but everyone if the family likes to hunt and shoot so the .243 should have somewhat of a light recoil for the younger ones. I've always liked the 30-06, so maybe next year on that one.

Latest posts

Back