What cleaner to use

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Reaction score
I shoot a lot of sabots out of my Knight bighorn. Now I am not saying that I have a huge problem with plastic buildup but would occasionally like to scrub it with something that works on plastic fouling. I use or have used Wipeout, Hoppes elite foam, birchwood Casey's bore blaster and even regular hoppies. None of these products specifically state that they work on plastic residue. Is there a product that does?

I use Butch's Bore Shine Solvent or Birchwood Casey Solvent and they are a very strong solvent. While they do not say they remove plastic, I would bet they do. I've never seen a trace of plastic in my bores.

Also my understanding is some of the new plastic sabots are made from a different grade of plastic and that problem many experienced with the older sabots is not quite so apparent as in the past.

I also run a patch of Brake Cleaner through the bore from time to time, and that stuff will remove about anything from the bore.

I use trditions bore solvent , it will take care of any plastic out of the bore, the only thing is use it where you have good air flow .Butch's bore cleaner also works and has no smells .
Charlie

Ridge Runner....
Check the label on the products you are considering. If it says it will harm plastic...it will work.

PLEASE NOTE!!
When using a bore cleaner that will remove plastic fouling, and it's unlikely you really have have any- -be sure you remove the barrel from the stock. Not only will it remove plastic from the barrel , but also from the stock! :shock: My son ruined his Disc Elite stock that way. :(

Maybe you already do or know that, I'm just sharing for everyones benefit.
I also have a Bighorn and it might be the most accurate gun I have. :D

Thanks for the info. Spitpatch yes I am aware that if it takes plastic out of the bore it will do the same for the stock. I always disassemble the rifle to clean it but it is always good advice to keep in mind.

Latest posts

Back