Black Powder vs 777 or 209 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

Reaction score
I am considering my first inline, a CVA and have been reading advise to newbies, etc on this forum. Rather than hi-jack another discussion, I like to ask about black powder specifically. I dont want to provoke an big arrangements which I know will happen on some other forums. If it matters, I will zero for 100 yards and expect shots from 25 to 100. That is in the woods, no open fields. I will use copper jackted bullets in plastic sabots.

I understand 777 is highly corrosive if a gun is left loaded for a long time or not cleaned properly after firing. I dont like this option at all and it is frequently suggested for a newbie. OK, another buddy likes the ease and speed of loading pellets. And he cleans and wipes down religiously. Even the plug. Maybe I do get it even if it is not for me.

Then 209 seems like a better option. I have been loading 50/70 trapdoor ammo with 209 and like the Hoppes No9 cleanup. I know CVA has a special breech plug. 209 can be expensive. I also been advised on this forum 209 can be purchased in bulk. I will probably try this first even if I borrow the breech plug. My buddy has good experience I can leverage.

Some say real black powder can be hard to purchase. I dont have any problem finding it locally. It is easy to ignite. It is very easy to clean. For deer hunting it does not foul enough to be a problem for a 2nd or 3rd shot with a side lock. For target shooting it is a pain to run a wet patch between shots. Then I never had a screw out breech plug. But; my buddy will remove the plug on his inline and swap between shots at the club. He refuses to shoot real black and wont say why! Except to say that nobody uses black powder. Like a blind hatred? He wont even let me test fire a couple shots.

Is there a problem getting real black powder to work well with inlines? I will try it, but; perhaps someone can give me a heads up on what problems I should anticipate.

I shoot real black in a TC Encore I had a 50 cal rebore to a 54 round ball twist it shoots one hope groups at 50 yards at a 100 yards I can do 1 1/2 groups I also hunt woods so getting a 100 yard shot in the woods is unlikely for me. But real black works great for me.

won Nationals using real black, 90 grains by weight swiss 2ff and a 500 grain PP bullet from buffalo arms. My opinion you need standard breech plug not one for Blackhorn, Hole is to big for bh209
was using a knight .45

Absolutely not! These guns are made for BP. Shoot what your heart desires and your gun likes. You didn't mention, are you shooting paper or meat? I have 1 hunting rifle that I shoot BH only, Others that are BP only. And a $30.00 breech plug is no reason not to shoot BH.

won Nationals using real black, 90 grains by weight swiss 2ff and a 500 grain PP bullet from buffalo arms. My opinion you need standard breech plug not one for Blackhorn, Hole is to big for bh209
was using a knight .45
I used the 209 primer in mine shooting Swiss 2f. Standard breech plug that comes on the encore. Did you use 209 primer?

yes was a 209 primer, most problems with black is fowling in bore and your breech plug maybe difficult to remove
Thank you. I used Teflon tape on mine wasn't hard to remove breech plug. Also I swab in between shots. I don't personally see any harder shooting real black or 777 as far as fouling just my opinion.

Interesting, use a BH209 breech plug with 209 powder and std size breech plug with black powder.

I use BH209 in my CVA Optima "without" the fancy breech plug and have zero problems. Accuracy is ridiculous with this pistol..lol

Black powder in an inline is a lot like a BPCR Sharps, you even have a built-in drop tube for consistency with you loads. Black powder is capable of really good things. Fouling management is your only challenge with an inline but SPG lube seems to really help more than anything I have ever tried.

I did not mention this in my intiial post, but; the Optima pistol is the gun I plan to purchase as my first inline. I am waiting very impatiently for these to gt back in stock.

Won many matches with Black Powder.
Recently tried BH209 and won the State match - score/accuracy was same.
Only differences, I wiped between shots with Black and BH209 cost 2x as much to shoot.

I don't think you get corrosion until the weapon is fired. And from what I am hearing the crud ring happens with hotter caps or primers. I personally had a problem with 777 using musket caps in my Knight Bighorn. I switched to Pyrodex select and problem was solved. I'm gonna shoot it later this year with real black and dial it in.

Won many matches with Black Powder.
Recently tried BH209 and won the State match - score/accuracy was same.
Only differences, I wiped between shots with Black and BH209 cost 2x as much to shoot.
I never really penciled it out but by buying 5 full lb jugs vs the 10 oz cans I paid $250 ish shipped. That's not too bad. The price of Swiss is $30.00 ish per lb +- so there not too far off. I like shooting it in my Hunting MZ .

Swiss BP and BH209 in a 45-90 Sharps equates to exactly the same cost per shot. (the last time I figured the math). Goex Olde Eynsford is as good, costs less $, and is American made!

With a Muzzleloader I might shoot a little more BH209 per shot(?). But there is no way to endure so much recoil pain in a 2 day match of 120 shots. So real Goex OE BP definitely gets the nod here.

A few cents more per shot for MZ hunting is not an arguable reason to "not" shoot BH209 for deer, bear, elk, and moose.... especially considering the cost of gas and scotch(!)..lol Not even a savings-point to be made at 5lbs a year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back