Black Powder vs 777 or 209 ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For an inline BH209 is awesome. Shoot and shoot, no need for swabbing between shots. Very good power, low corrosion, and easy ignition assuming you have the correct components. (It has been pretty well documented that you should use a BH209 breechplug). If I was mainly a target or competition shooter I may go a different route, but for a hunting rifle... to me, BH209 is the ticket. :lewis:

There ya go Fourbore, clear as mud! Just kiddin. Try what you like and can get. They all work well. Have dif pros and cons.

It has been informative and I appreciate all that contributed. I learned some and more important, I am encouraged to do as you say: "See what works". I will use the appropriate breech plug for the powder selected. (edit, Mike yes, 209 will most likely be part of mix with the proper plug)

Thank you all.

For the hunter, and assuming the gun is compatible, I’d look 1st to Blackhorn 209. Can one kill a deer at 50 yards with about ANY propellant sold, why of course.

Once sighted in, the cost difference isn’t much to fret about. Even with B209 I clean fairly soon. I may let it go a day or two after a shot was fired, while hunting. I never did that with the others.

I just received notice from Muzzle-loader.com that they have shipped the Optima Pistol that I ordered a few weeks ago, so you might want to get your order in.

When I got my Optima pistol last year, I only had black powder to use in it. Worked fine for me. I did want to try another propellant but could only get Pyrodex locally. The Pyrodex shoots good too. So I'd say whichever you can get easy enough would suit your needs.

Back