What do you think the BHN would be

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightnut2000

Reaction score
Say you were casting up some 100% pure lead Conicals and you water quenched them out of the mold what do you think the BHN would be :think::think:

45-70
:think::think::think: Hmm

So your saying it would not change at all ? See I would have thought it would have, I am not a caster and Iv'e heard of this water thing and i thought it may harden lead from 5 BHN to maybe 6 or 7 BHN

Thanks guys I was boarded and setting around just thinking. Now I see why I get myself in to so much trouble with my GF when I think . Lol

45-70
:think::think::think: Hmm

So your saying it would not change at all ? See I would have thought it would have, I am not a caster and Iv'e heard of this water thing and i thought it may harden lead from 5 BHN to maybe 6 or 7 BHN

Water quenching hardens lead alloyed with tin and antimony. If you wanted to harden just slightly, then add a little tin.

I've always been told to harden just add a little tin.
We used pure lead in our muzzleloaders and hardened the lead for our modern pistol bullets.
Big John

So basically, there is no way to "temper" lead without adding some other "ingredient".

That is correct. Lead is an element with known properties. Heating and cooling it does not change that. If you want to harden it slightly add some tin. If you want it to become harder still add some antimony.

Latest posts

Back