What happens if you dry fire a flintlock with it primed?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just as the title suggests, I just got my first flintlock and I was wondering what happens if you shoot it with powder in the pan but with no charge in the barrel? Is there still a “boom”?

No boom, just a Whoosh! and flash in the pan. Like lighting a pile of loose powder.

Curtis

What Curtis said :lewis:

@EthanRubin_123 Do you understand how to properly clean your new Rifle, and the importance of doing so after you shoot it?

Your new Rifle can EASILY be ruined after Just 1 shot with Real Blackpowder (Rusted/Pitted) if you don’t clean it properly, and Coat it with a Protective Oil, I can’t stress enough how important it is to Clean a Blackpowder rifle after it has been shot. I clean my Rifles the SAME Day i shoot them, NO EXCEPTIONS to that Rule for me. If it’s early morning that i Shoot, and I can’t get to cleaning it til late that evening? (Very rare for me, but has happened) After my last Shot i Swab the Bore REALLY REALLY Good, and Apply a LIBERAL amount of Gun oil, til i see it Spit out the Nipple.

Back