What is a good Elk bullet for a T/C Truimph?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Reaction score
I will be hunting in Colorado and cannot use sabots. I am concerned about the Powerbelts. What are you other top picks.

Thanks,

Joel

You might want to try some 460 grain BullShop Conicals in .503 diameter. They shoot well out of my Black Diamond XR, but that is no guarantee they will shoot well out of your rifle.

Thompson Center Rifles I was once told by a technician for them, were made to shoot sabots from their inlines. I had called and we were talking basically about the same thing you are now. What conical would shoot well. He kind of side stepped the conical question and finally admitted, they were made to shoot sabots.

He also suggested to try powerbelts, maxiball, and Great Plains. At this point you are going to have to put in some range time with different projectiles. They do make powerbelts now that I think will get the job done well. With powerbelts and elk, everything I have read is.. bigger bullets are better. I might look into the ones with the harder tip because they should get better penetration. A lot of people do report excellent accuracy from their Thompson Center inlines with Powerbelts. That was not my case, and thay was why I went looking for something else.

Another conical my Black Diamond XR shoots very well are .503 460 grain No Excuse Conicals. With 80 grains of powder the rifle will really put them down range. Remember, with that big chunk of lead you do not have to punish yourself with the 120 grain charges.

Back