What is the Leupold CDS?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remi1

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying a Leupold VXR as I want the firedot reticle; I'm 99% sure that I want a 3-9x40 - this is all based on my preferences (although that 4-12x40 would be real nice especially at the range!) - but this would be used for hunting inside of 100yds (and range time of course) on either my slug gun or muzzy, not sure which yet.  My question is - what does the CDS actually do for you?  I've read about and from what I can tell it's intent is for making quick scope adjustments at llonger ranges so you don't have to hold-over; sound about right?  If that's the case then I guess I don't need it... I really just want a clear, bright, sharp, non-cluttered image - all of which I can say Vortex offers but the idea of the firedot is what has me considering it; I don't usually hunt in the middle of the day - I hunt early morning and afternoons til end of legal light (the new VX3i might have a place for me too - but again, really like that firedot concept)

You are correct on the CDS system. You sight your gun in, call Leupold with the info & they build you a dial that will adjust for dead hold at different distances.
If you don't need it then don't get it, but it's really nice if you get a chance to stretch out a shot. The firedot is also excellent! I have 3 of these & they are all 4-12. I can easily find & shoot a deer at close range while having a little extra power for a longer shot. BTW.....I've killed most f my deer inside of 25 yards.
Vortex makes a fantastic product & they do have a similar dot style reticle but its in a lower model. I wish they'd offer it in the Viper HS

Hope this helps......Greg

And to add on to what Greg has said, the CDS isn't power specific.  When you dial in a yardage, it is the same hold at 3 power all the way to 9 power.  Other bullet drop compensating scopes will have holdover points, but only at a set power, which is usually the highest power on that scope.  The simplicity to range the yardage and dial to hold dead on is why I much prefer the Leupold CDS.

Tony said:
And to add on to what Greg has said, the CDS isn't power specific.  When you dial in a yardage, it is the same hold at 3 power all the way to 9 power.  Other bullet drop compensating scopes will have holdover points, but only at a set power, which is usually the highest power on that scope.  The simplicity to range the yardage and dial to hold dead on is why I much prefer the Leupold CDS.
Thanks for the add on Tony. I forgot that part.

Greg

I too wish they had it in the Viper HS, great scope but i can see where that firedot is useful... I'll have to think in the CDS - I really don't think I'd use it honestly... Just want a high quality scope with that firedot - thanks for the comments.

Hi guys, I finally get to hunt with a ML this year and supported Carlos @ Eds Guns with a recent Accura V2 buy. I have a CDS scope on my 30-06 that I'm think of porting over to the ML since I will use the ML much more than that rifle.

That said, what is your application on the CDS with your ML? I was thinking of sighting in at 175 yards and I'll only probably be +4" or so with a Barnes 250g at 100 yards, assuming 1925 fps, and good out to 200 yards (-3"). (I'm using Hornady calculator for this.) Are you all sighting in the rifle at 100 and turning the dial for shots, including those out beyond 200? I'm just not sure I see a need for the CDS system on a ML unlike my 30-06, where I might shoot out to 350 sometimes.

That bullet can obviously expand out past 300 yards but I've never considered it a option to shoot that far with a ML. Again, this is my first modern inline so maybe I'm wrong.

Personally, I can't fathom what good it does to put a scope like that on a muzzleloader. Maybe, perhaps, possibly if you live in eastern Wyoming and are hunting antelope but any 4-8x scope is adequate for the distances that are sensible for hunting with a muzzleloader.

When you have a buck out in a cornfield at, let's say 227 yards, just click your CDS scope to 225, hold dead on and bust him.  With a good shooting muzzleloader and a rangefinder, I think the Leupold CDS is a nice tool to have.  Now if you prefer hold low and high at different yardages and memorize the drop table of your setup, that's your choice.  Everyone has their way of doing things.

As Tony said, Range it, Dial it, and shoot. I had 2 of them on my Muzzy's that were sighted in at 100 yards and the dial would go up to 325 yards. I switched one of them over to my 45 cal SML and ordered a new dial with the new info, and it works great on it.

Dave

If a CDS system will give you better shot placement, then they make sense if your hunting style allows you time to dial-in.

Bought one last Fall from Carlos to try on my CVA Acura MR and never looked back; just got a second one from him - mounted this on my custom Savage 220F shotgun... these scopes are awesome!
bae2b14c-e261-4422-8959-4ef128a60284.jpg

Not yet - haven't had the need but the quality of the scope and having the illuminated dot in the center of the cross-hair is awesome.  Having the CDS is a bonus for me; it's there if I need it.

nuevo_eph said:
Do you actually dial up different distances for shots?
After you have ordered you CDS dial, you zero your gun in at 100 yards, then replace you old dial with the new one that you have ordered, that is made to your gun, and bullet set up. after you have installed it, you will notice that there are numbers that go from 1 for 100 yards, 1.5 for 150 yards and so on. You will see marks in between the numbers, The Dials that I have on my guns go out to 400 and 450 yards.
Then all you need to do is range it with a range finder, adjust your CDS dial to that and shoot.
Most of all, you NEED TO SPEND TIME at the range.

Dave

I use the CDS scopes and love them. They definitely help accuracy on any shot. Just remember that the dial only works with one specific load. You cannot change your load because obviously your ballistics change. But once set up, it's amazing how acurite your longer shots are.

I'm familiar with them and have one on my 30-06 and 7,mm-08 rifle but am using a plain Jane VX-2 for my Accura. I don't plan to shoot past 200, so I've sighted in for 175 and am +4" at 100. - 3.5" at 200.

Latest posts

Back