What is this pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brought this at a local shop and was told it was a FIE 31 caliber. I am new to black powder and have purchased 6 weapons one a rifle and 5 pistols. I am still learning and was going to head up to Friendship IN but Covid has changed my routine a lot. I am working slowly.wells fargo.jpg

Looks like a brass-framed replica of an 1849 Colt.

I’m not trying to be critical, but I don’t think the brass frame is historically “correct.” Doesn’t mean it can’t be fun, though!

No personal experience with this model, but I’ve read that the loading levers are a little prone to bending(?). Take it easy seating the balls, and be sure to use soft/pure lead, for easiest seating.

You can also buy an inexpensive press to load the cylinder off the gun. Might be a good idea, if you plan to shoot it a lot.

I know it’s “just a .31,” but keep the loads light. The brass frames have reputation as being prone to getting “loose” with extensive use- especially with heavy loads.

Hopefully someone with personal experience will chime in!

Have the same pistol except steel frame. 1849 pocket model Colt. Fun gun for small hands. Keep loads light (refer to various load tables) and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Various companies imported these from Italy from several makers, put their own company's name on them. At differing times (1960's mostly) percussion revolvers were plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Today - not plentiful and getting expensive.

Mine uses very small percussion caps. Most I find today are too long. Have Fun!

WalkingBear195-

Here are a couple of threads from another Forum, which you might find useful.
(Hope I’m not stepping on toes, posting links to another Forum.)

This one should help with disassembly (and maybe reassembly, too! 😆)
https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/colt-disassembly.93244/
“Gatofeo” is a username that you’ll likely see when searching the Forums for info on cap ’n ball revolvers. He’s a wealth of knowledge, and sharesa bunch of it here:
https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/proper-use-of-a-cap-and-ball-revolver.2772/

A lot of folks (including me) also use a simple homemade lube for black powder shooting. Gatofeo modified an old recipe to his own liking, and shared it. Somebody dubbed it “Gatofeo #1” lube, in his honor. A quick search will reveal the recipe.

Have a ball! 🤠

Latest posts

Back