What kind of stuff do you all read?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delight523

Reaction score
Just curious what taste every one has when it comes to reading material?
I am not a huge magazine reader simply due to the boring stuff and mostly advertisement stuff in them. They can be good for pictures though to look at and day dream, but usually the writing sucks LOL.
I've pretty much destroyed the book department and am looking for "new" authors that write decent about the mountain man era. I've gone through so many books by various authors, including one writer that has a 70+ book series, that it's getting super hard to find new material to enjoy.

I read a lot of military history antiquity to 19th century. Modern warfare doesnt interest me. I love hunting books related to Africa up to the early 20th century - not Capstick. I know he's one of your countrymen but his writing was exaggerated if it wasn't complete BS.

My favourite author is easily Jim Corbett. He lived during the British Raj and hunted maneating tigers and leopards. Norw than that though he had a deep love for the people and the environment which always resonated with me.

Some gun magazines, reloading books, radio control magazines, ham radio, assorted other sources too. Although I haven’t done it since I had cataract surgery I used to be a rather voracious science fiction book reader.

Last edited:
Mostly Sci Fi, either Space/interplanetary stuff, fantasy stuff like Discworld and such (I re-read all of the DW once a year Pratchett had a wonderful view on life, humanity, being human, death, religion, etc and the world is poorer for his loss), etc for fun

Also read a lot of technical stuff for my job as sysadmin/developer for a big homegrown college management system interfacing with all sorts of 3rd party vendors and government agencies.

But I didn't have a TV until my second computer needed one as a monitor (first computer had one built in), and even then it was limited to two OTA channels (PBS and a local ABC station). I did however have a library card and a charge account at a local bookstore and permission to go wherever my little legs would take me on the bus or by bike in town.... And I still don't watch TV 40 years later (actually got the wife to finally disconnect the satellite two months ago! woohoo!), though I still read voraciously.

The-Discworld-Reading-Order-Guide-2-0-terry-pratchett-38786765-1000-1198.jpg

i am old and have too many boxes of books in my garage and in the house. i quit purchasing many books and magazines and use the public library. I can get books and magazines free from the library reading them on my iPad. I still purchase CDs and a few DVDs out of habit and enjoy listening while reading. I signed up for a couple public libraries for greater selection. There are wait times for popular books, but I have enough books on a waiting list to keep me busy. Sometimes when my number comes up, a request to be skipped and put on the top of the list.

I listen to books on Audible. Some of the last few were…
The Innocent Man by John Grisham
The Time It Never Rained by Elmer Kelton
The Red River Series by Reavis Z. Wortham
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
Hell in the Heartland by Jax Miller
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
Left Behind series by Tim LaHay and Jerry B. Jenkins
Timber Creek K9 mysteries by Margaret Mizushima

I listen to books on Audible. Some of the last few were…
The Innocent Man by John Grisham
The Time It Never Rained by Elmer Kelton
The Red River Series by Reavis Z. Wortham
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
Hell in the Heartland by Jax Miller
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
Left Behind series by Tim LaHay and Jerry B. Jenkins
Timber Creek K9 mysteries by Margaret Mizushima

I've read at least two on your list.

I read most anything about guns, science, science fiction, horror (like Poe, Lovecraft, King, etc), murder mysteries, wildlife, martial arts, bears (I love bears), actually anything that's not boring. I lost far too many books when we moved and am building up my personal library with mostly withdrawn books from the local library. Musical tastes are eclectic from jazz, folk, earlier rock, and more than I can even list. Movies similar to book interests. As a teen & young adult I played in several bands but gave it up when I got married.

I read most anything about guns, science, science fiction, horror (like Poe, Lovecraft, King, etc), murder mysteries, wildlife, martial arts, bears (I love bears), actually anything that's not boring. I lost far too many books when we moved and am building up my personal library with mostly withdrawn books from the local library. Musical tastes are eclectic from jazz, folk, earlier rock, and more than I can even list. Movies similar to book interests. As a teen & young adult I played in several bands but gave it up when I got married.
Ive read and re-read nearly every Stephen King book. Some Lovecraft and Poe. Lovecraft is hard to read sometimes as he had to invent so much crazy stuff. Asimov, too.
I usually think of horror as part of the Sic Fi genre. But read horror as much as space sci fi.

Thats just weird, brother. Funny & strange, but not unexpected… can i get that on kindle?
That show was strange. Really strange. My son watched it in the early mornings as an infant/toddler 20+ years ago. Little aliens with televisions in place of their bellies? And what the he^^ was with all the bunnies? They're everywhere .. did these little creeps eat a lot of Hassenpfeffer? Perhaps the producers and writers found some pretty mushrooms .... One of the weirdest shows (kid shows at that) I've ever seen. Thank the good lord we had normal shows with men dressed in tights and capes chasing bad guys wearing make-up...

Authors ... Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Louis L'Amour.
Other Material ... Outdoor News (Michigan and Wisconsin), DNR Website, American Rifleman, but honestly this site and a few others take up most of my reading time anymore.

Latest posts

Back