What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday shot 2 ml
Today shot 2 more ml
Tomorrow shoot 2 more ml
Thursday shoot 2 more ml
Friday shoot 2 more ml
Saturday shoot 2 more and I’m done at less I hope. Yes I got this week planned out with plenty of exercise with my trigger finger.
A good workout does great things to the body, mind and soul.
Just been tinkering around with loads.
but I did find something out today that I can take a 50 cal Firestar pellet and put it in a original disk 45 Cal and it shoots great with a 200 gr sst.
But the firestar will not fit the newer 45 smaller bore on the newer ones.

Last edited:
Now I’m sitting here scratching my head. I’m trying to figure out how to set up this plug headspace Any help would be appreciated.
Woodman omega plug.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Now I’m sitting here scratching my head. I’m trying to figure out how to set up this plug headspace Any help would be appreciated.
Woodman omega plug.
The instructions explain it pretty well I believe. But this is how I do it.

The insert screws in and out to change the headspace. The total length of the plug will end up being close to 1.730” - so start close to that.

Measure the length of a 209 primer first.
Loosen the set screw on the barrel end of the plug
Install the plug
Insert the 209
Attempt to close the action and see if it is contacting/crushing the primer slightly, if it seems close then close completely (do not pull the trigger)
Open and measure the length of the 209. It should be about .003-.007” shorter.
If necessary, screw the insert in or out to achieve the desired .003-.007” crush
Carefully remove the plug and tighten the set screw.
Then measure the length of the adjusted plug for future reference.

Hopefully this makes sense. Feel free to pm me.

IMG_4568.png

The instructions explain it pretty well I believe. But this is how I do it.

The insert screws in and out to change the headspace. The total length of the plug will end up being close to 1.730” - so start close to that.

Measure the length of a 209 primer first.
Loosen the set screw on the barrel end of the plug
Install the plug
Insert the 209
Attempt to close the action and see if it is contacting/crushing the primer slightly, if it seems close then close completely (do not pull the trigger)
Open and measure the length of the 209. It should be about .003-.007” shorter.
If necessary, screw the insert in or out to achieve the desired .003-.007” crush
Carefully remove the plug and tighten the set screw.
Then measure the length of the adjusted plug for future reference.

Hopefully this makes sense. Feel free to pm me.

View attachment 44026
I followed your instructions and got it set thank you 🙏.
I got 1.727 total length with a 5 crush give or take.
I’m taking it out tomorrow and giving it a run.

Last edited:
Which load(s) are you planning to use with those SubXs?
I was trying to find Ron testing on these haven’t found it yet.
I’m starting with 80 grains by volume in the 50 DE and I don’t know where to go on the 52 DE I’ll probably start at 90 and work up from there.
Will be using BH 209 with federal 209a. 50 yards to get them on paper and see how they group..

Will be using harverster CR and smooth black for the .452 and I’m going to split the .458 I got some CR 50 cal .458 to try and then run some thru the 52 grey sabot, maybe the 1:26 barrel will do better with the 410 grain.
I love tinkering.

Back