What power setting on Scopes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this thread to see what the general consensus was amongst mainstream shooters.

Seems like the logical answer is low settings for most shooters.

Jack O'Connor use to say 4x Power Scopes for Eastern Hunts and 6X scopes for Western Hunts. While scope Technologies have improved dramatically over the years there is still a large amount of wisdom in that mans words.

Quite frankly I could get by with a 4x scope for 99% of the hunting I do. I cannot think of one shot I have had to take over the last 20 years that required a higher setting. That was on a antelope in 1997. I was using a 300 Win Mag. The lazer ranger finder told me it was just a hair over 600 Yards and I was using a tripod. I had a Redfield 6x18 scope set on 6x. I cranked it up to 10x for that shot. I probably could have gotten by with 6x but 10x helped me see a little better.

I do like having a High Power scope for Target work but it must be of proper thin cross hair or a small dot. Ive never seen a conventional reticle that was ideal for true target work. Most cross hairs are too heavy to really be able to read a load properly.

Latest posts

Back