What power setting on Scopes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwardamason

Reaction score
What power setting do you find yourself using most when hunting in low light conditions both wooded and open field?

Depending on the scope I am using either 2.5 -3X Max is generally 4x. Unless the shot is out to 100 yds, then I may increase the magnification if I have the time.

For short range stuff in low light, hardly ever more then a 4x. But in open fields, I have kicked it up to 7x and still had good light transmission. Only because in fields there is still more light to be had.

My 2x7's and 3x9's are almost always on 4x while hunting. My #1 ML has a fixed 6X Leupold on it and I like it very much.

For us, it depends on the range of the target, not so much on the light conditions. Shot my buck at 137 yards on 9X, my son shot his doe at 20 yards on 3X. My son's buck last year was shot on 9X, the last few mins of shooting light, it was 140 yards. I don't remember him saying anything about not seeing the deer well enough.

I typically keep my scope on the lowest power (3) unless I am in an open area such as a field - I'd be on 5 most likely. Then I crank up as needed. Most of my scopes are higher quality and draw light very well, so that has never been an issue.

I usually keep it on 6 because that's the setting I sight it in on. You can see the scope that I use below.

Peddler
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3x on the 3x9 or 4x on the 4x10 most of my shoots are 58 yds out of my ground blind. When you shoot a .45 KNIGHT and a Leigh Bullet you can shoot the balde's in the head and wast no meat. :yeah: You sure can't do that with a POWERBELT. :lol: :poke:

With my 3x9 scopes I always have them on 3x when I start out. In all the years I've been hunting there has only been 2 or 3 occasions, where I moved it to a higher magnification to shoot a deer.

Edwardamason said:
What power setting do you find yourself using most when hunting in low light conditions both wooded and open field?

Most of my scopes are 3x9 and they spend most of their time on 3 or 4 power. If during the hunt I need to and have the time to - I can/will turn the power to other levels after a target has been seen.

The power level setting has a lot to with the light transmitted through the scope - greater the power the more light that is need for clear resolution.

Generally speaking, the greater the zoom power, or magnification, the more light that is required to give good resolution. There is a point of diminishing return, however. With a scope in this general range, after 44mm you're not really gaining any more light for a one inch scope tube.

Or put another way...generally, the more magnification that you have, the less light you are going to get for your eyepiece. The larger that your objective lens is, the more you are going to get through the eyepiece.

I usually keep my scopes at their lowest setting. Several times, I have increased the power to shoot at longer distances, but I like the wide field of view that lower powers give.

I have a fixed 4x scope on my ML, so I guess I keep it at 4x :D .

Would likely go lower if I had the choice, but I seem to be fine in early light.

Walking around I have it no higher than 6x. If I am watching a long range area I crank it up to max magnification.

DPH said:
I usually keep my scopes at their lowest setting. Several times, I have increased the power to shoot at longer distances, but I like the wide field of view that lower powers give.

X2

I set my scope power so that my perspective of the target is the same size looking through the scope as it is just looking with my eyes. This gives me the quickest target acquisition, then I adjust the power as needed. For me this setting is normally 4.5 to 5 X.

I use 3x9 scopes on my ML's, and typically keep it on 3x, unless I'm in an area where a longer shot is more likely, then maybe 4-5. I won't hesitate to turn it up when the time comes if need be, but have never had any issues with light transmission. I do use quality scopes.

I use 3x9 scopes on my ML's, and typically keep it on 3x, unless I'm in an area where a longer shot is more likely, then maybe 4-5. I won't hesitate to turn it up when the time comes if need be, but have never had any issues with light transmission. I do use quality scopes.

The gun I hunt with the most has a 3-9x40. I keep it on 4x 90% of the time. If I'm presented with a longer shot and have time I will crank it up to 9x.

Latest posts

Back