What scope for Ruger 10-22T ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimA

Reaction score
I just picked up a Ruger 10-22 target model with the S.S bull barrel. What would be a good scope to mount on it? I will mostly use it for plinking and punching paper with a little tree rat hunting in the fall.

Jim

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
How much are you looking spend?

GREAT question! :D

MY answer would be $300.00-$500.00! You have a REALLY nice rifle, why not top it off with a nice scope? BEST choice is the Leupold 6.5-20X40EFR... I have several and you really can't beat it. Another great choice is the Bushnell 4200 6-24X40. It's a little on the long side and a little short on w/e adjustments but is still a really good scope. The Weaver V-24 is another very good scope here as is Weavers V-16. Very compact. The Sightron 4-16X42 is another good one except the way Sightron uses to adjust the AO is REALLY screwy! Hard to tell exactly what distance you are focusing to.. ALL of the above scope have an AO that will focus down to 10yds to infinity... Best scope for the buck is the Swift 6-18X44. What a GREAT scope for the money!

Chuck, I had a hunch you would have a few favorite choices for me 8). I have some shopping to do. What suppliers have you had good luck with?

Thanks, Jim

Thanks again Chuck... I checked with my CFO and pretty much got the Leupold 6.5-20X40 EFR shot down at this time :cry: . I kinda like the sound of the Weaver V16 with the 4 power low end for hunting. Have you used the Weavers ? If so, what are your thoughts on them?? Do you use the Leupold EFR on your air rifles?

Jim

Let me know how that shoots. I've had one for 4 years and it won't shoot worth a darn. I have tried all kinds of premium 22 ammo, sent it back to Ruger and it still won't do better then 1 1/2 at 50 yards. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3/9 on it. I'm still kicking around putting a Green Mountain barrell on it.

I kinda like the sound of the Weaver V16 with the 4 power low end for hunting. Have you used the Weavers ? If so, what are your thoughts on them??

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with a V-16! That's a REALLY good scope. Very durable. I've used the V-16, V-24, and Grand Slam 6-20 on air rifles, 22LR, and varmint rifles. I'm pretty sure Harry has a V-16 on his 10-22T. HERE'S a V-16 on one heck of a Air Arms Pro Sport!

CHIIPSHW35%20012.jpg

and THIS is a V-16 on a Air Airms TX200HC

TXHCscopecoversr6%20006.jpg

I'd take a V-16 on any target rifle any day of the week!

Looks good to me... I think that will be the ticket. Not a bad price either. :D Thanks for the help guys.

Got one on order Chuck. :) That's what I like about this site, there is always someone with good information and experience. I don't post often but I check in here every day. I originally came here to learn more about my Savage 10ML 11 and have found a wealth of knowledge on many subjects. I am not a newbie when it comes to guns, bows or hunting as I have been at this game for over 50 years, but no one can match the collective experience of the members here. Thanks to Patrick for hosting this site and all of you for making it great.

Jim Amirault

I know that I'm a bit too late, but for me, a 6x whatever variable scope is too much for tree rats. 3 or 4 power on the low side is just right. There will be times that I'm right at the base of the tree, and the squirrel isn't more than 50 feet away. Thats' the only time that I have a hard time picking them up in the scope.

Chuck, the TX200 is deadly on tree rats out to 50 Yds tho! The Pro Sport is even better. 8)

Blue-Dot-37.5

That's what I thought too Blue- Dot-37.5, so I went with the V16 which has a 4X on the low end.

JimA said:
That's what I thought too Blue- Dot-37.5, so I went with the V16 which has a 4X on the low end.

I sure can't say either of you are wrong! :D ...and I'll admit that I was leaning a little more towards the "T" of the 10-22T! The 4X of a 4-16 is probably a better choice for most hunting situations BUT...I've used 6.5-20s and 6-24s to kill a many a tree rat! :wink:

I've used 6.5-20s and 6-24s to kill a many a tree rat.
I don't doubt that for a minute Chuck, from some of the groups you post you probably wobble a lot less than this old rascal! :wink: I need a good rest when the power goes up. 4X should be a good power for quick shootin' before the leaves drop.

I need a good rest when the power goes up.

Get some Steady Stix! I use them all the time! :D

4X should be a good power for quick shootin' before the leaves drop.

A 4-16 IS a great dual purpose scope, targets AND hunting! :D

I really think you'll like that V16!

Well it looks good Chuck. I hope I can shoot it soon.
V16-10-22T.jpg
[/img]

Jim

That's a nice looking 10-22 you've got there, Jim! The V-16 looks really good on it also. Great Choice!

Nic_58 said:
That's a nice looking 10-22 you've got there, Jim! The V-16 looks really good on it also. Great Choice!

I AGREE! That looks like a great combo! Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

Latest posts

Back