what to blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its all i could get i would shoot pellets or Pyrodex in my rifles. Where there is a will there is a way. If i have to i would try to turn my omega or accura into flintlock.

I’m new to the party, too. I spent 1/2 hour yesterday trying to find it on-line and calling stores around my state. Blackhorn’s website lists dealers by state, so anyone who hasn’t done so should check that out. Ended up driving three hours to buy four bottles (all they had). Paid $39 a bottle. I was able to stop at a couple shops along the way to pick up some FMJ .308s and some buck shot, both of which are also impossible to find near me. So the road trip was productive!

Not that it really helps anyone but a friend and went in on the last 9 bottles of BH at Sportsman's WHSE had in the Kennewick, WA store. There are still a few bottles in the Moses Lake store.

My local muzzloader shop has bh209 for 47.99. I said no. German #11 caps for 8.50

I find it humerous that we are complaining about shortages and then "stocking up" (otherwise known as hoarding). I ran out of 777 right before hunting season once, and decided to never let that situation happen again. I believe BH209 is over priced. But gouging is what capitalism is all about. If the price is too high, don't buy it. Then it will be available to those who can't live without it. It has a small velocity advantage over 777, and you don't have to swab between shots. I don't find it any easier to clean. If BH 209 continues to go up in price, someone will eventually develop an alternative.

I find it humerous that we are complaining about shortages and then "stocking up" (otherwise known as hoarding). I ran out of 777 right before hunting season once, and decided to never let that situation happen again. I believe BH209 is over priced. But gouging is what capitalism is all about. If the price is too high, don't buy it. Then it will be available to those who can't live without it. It has a small velocity advantage over 777, and you don't have to swab between shots. I don't find it any easier to clean. If BH 209 continues to go up in price, someone will eventually develop an alternative.
Youre 100% right. I am guilty of it myself. I try not to give in to the impulse but its like an instinct response.
Wish i was a chemist and could make black and smokeless powder at home.

If Blackhorn goes to $75-85 a bottle thats it for me Ill go back to T7 and deal with the crud ring.
I'll quit before I deal with the crud ring again. That's a fact and final. Lucky for me, I got about 12 lbs of the BH209.

I believe the crud ring is caused by the primer. I've shot a Kahnke with #11 caps for 15 years, with 777, and I never knew what a crud ring was until I bought my CVA. I never wanted to hunt for 5 days with a dirty gun, so I always swabbed between shots. The crud is minimal, and even less if you use the muzzleloader primers. Of course the Kahnke may have a hand lapped barrel, it is very smooth. BH 209 will spoil you. It wasn't on the shelves much until a couple of years ago, so I never wanted to risk it. I bought some last year to see if I could get my lemon CVA to shoot. If I shot less, or made more money, that might be all I'd shoot too.

For the most part, I'm using white hots and lead ball. I have also bought some 777 to try. I just bought my Daughter a Wolf so we can have "quality time together" as her mother says. The Daughter doesn't hunt so we will use the lesser powders shooting paper. Time spent with the stock pushing your shoulder back is always fun. Swabbing between shots is just part of the game then.
As for me, I hunt and will use the Blackhorn for that purpose, and being in the Kalifornia republic with lead outlawed for hunting the test groups were great with the BH and Barnes TMZ EZ so far with little cleaning between rounds. And I have enough of both to last me a few years, even if a get a lot of chances at a bunch of 'yotes.
Last I checked Stockton, Sac, and Medford, Oregon SW's had BH in stock and a bunch of stores in SoCal.

I believe the crud ring is caused by the primer. I've shot a Kahnke with #11 caps for 15 years, with 777, and I never knew what a crud ring was until I bought my CVA. I never wanted to hunt for 5 days with a dirty gun, so I always swabbed between shots. The crud is minimal, and even less if you use the muzzleloader primers. Of course the Kahnke may have a hand lapped barrel, it is very smooth. BH 209 will spoil you. It wasn't on the shelves much until a couple of years ago, so I never wanted to risk it. I bought some last year to see if I could get my lemon CVA to shoot. If I shot less, or made more money, that might be all I'd shoot too.

I tried the T7 pellets in several in line ML, with several kinds of primers. I tried different pressure sabots and bullets. I have never had so much frustration with a rifle in my life. My CVA Accura and BH209 ended all of that. Now, I can totally cover my groups with a 50 cent piece, most times a quarter.

Last edited:
I have one container left of BH209. If it goes up much more in price and availability I'll be switching back to black powder or 777. Used Goex FFG and Pyrodex Select in my inlines for years with no problems. I just liked the ease of cleaning with Blackhorn. And not swabbing between shots at the range.

I have already starting buying pyrodex and t7 for if/when i run out of bh209. Forget about blackpowder around here. No one sells it and no one will order it in for me either. Interweb order only it seems. But i have a couple pounds of goex and swiss now as well as 1200 #11 caps.

Latest posts

Back