What to tip guide?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
I am going on my first moose hunt at the end of this month and was curious what is a normal tip for a hunt like this?

First time I have ever hired a guide for a big hunt like this, so I am kinda clueless. I was thinking 10% of hunt cost, is this too much? too little? Just need some help here.

It all depends on the service he gives.

10 - 15 % in the norm....

If it's a real Trophy, look into given 20%...

Good luck and have fun..

IMO it depends...

1. Is your guide the outfitter himself? If so..I tip little to nothing since he gets everything anyway.

2. Success... I'm sorry but a hunt that is a success gets a larger tip. That's the reason I came!

3. Guides attitude? Even with a successful hunt, a bad attitude will get you no where with me. I LOVE condescending, know it all guides. :x This ain't my first rodeo!

4. Don't feel obligated WHATSOEVER to tip. If you don't feel like you are being treated right, you probably aren't. Go with your instinct.

5. When you get a great guide that deserves a great tip, YOU'LL KNOW IT! When you do, tip the CRAP out of him! 8)

Big 6X6's response is incredibly good and on target. This is going onto the 'notice' board at the range. The questions of tipping hunting and fishing guides is a constant discussion. My breakfast group strongly agrees that the best guides cannot be given too much and the worst deserve nothing and create problems in our shrinking population base of hunters.

I would use the same rule I do for waiters. If they are poor, I keep the tip. If they are ok, they get a modest tip, if they are great I give them what is customary and whatever else I think I have saved on all the bad ones. I had a unbelievable dinner at the Hilton in Cincinnatti 2 months ago. I left a 100 dollar tip and they were worth every penny.

Great question.

Here is what I am comfortable with.

For trips under $600 I do 20%

For trips $600-$1200 I do 15%

For trips $1201 -$2000 I do 10%

For trips $2001 and up I only do 7.5%

If the guide did not perform well I will not give a tip at all.

Personally I don't base the tip on whether or not I got what I came for.

On October 5th-7th I am heading on a red stag hunt and I plan on tipping 10% or about $200

Buglemintoday said:
On October 5th-7th I am heading on a red stag hunt and I plan on tipping 10% or about $200

Where are you going? I'm jealous!

Quanah, Tx :D

I wish it was New Zealand or South America but this is more in my price range!

I won't be taking the Omega though, Rather the .338 with 250gr Partitions.

I have a good buddy going along with me on the hunt and he will be videotaping so be sure and look around the site for the video in the next two weeks or so 8)

Chuck- If you ever plan another Tx hunt again I would love to join with a muzzleloader! Maybe a possible MM GTG ?

Sounds like a great hunt! Texas really offers so much for the outdoorsman!

Chuck- If you ever plan another Tx hunt again I would love to join with a muzzleloader! Maybe a possible MM GTG ?

I don't see why not! This coming Nov will be my third trip to Texas whitetail hunting. This will be Grouses second trip. There will be several of us this year from the board including Nugbuk, Venisoneatr, Grouse, Doohan, RBinAR, and and myself. Personally I'm waiting to see how I like this hunt(new outfitter) to see if I want to go back next year or do something else. If we go back to Texas I'll certainly include you.

Thanks! I will definately be interested.

Ya'll should plan a Summer Exotic hunt down here, we could definately have some fun chasing around some blackbuck, aoudad, or rams!

Latest posts

Back