What's In Eastern Maine Oiled Roundball Patches?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoexBlackhorn

Reaction score
Just ordered 2pks/200 of the prelubed .020 roundball shooting patches from Track Of The Wolf. Just wondering what the oiled substance is. It's not yellow Wonderlube, nor the reddish-colored EZ Lube coating.

Sometimes trade secrets like this eventually become revealed. Anyone here know what oil covers these patches? I am not a fan of EZ Lube, for the Cabelas EZ Lube Blackpowder version of this liquid becomes tacky in muzzleloader bores after firing and makes it difficult to reload. I've used the very lightly-coated Wonderlubed .018 pillow-tickers for a couple decades now and venturing into these non-pillow ticker, oiled patches for experiments.

Not interested in any other patch recipes or lubes. I've already been into Bear Grease, Mink Oil, Moosemilk, Ballistol, Olive Oil, Permatex Hand Cleaner and other homemade lube's before. Just curious what this oil-covering really is.

For curiosity sake..... Anyone know? I'm guessing it's just machine oil, for the price is only a buck more than dry patches there.

I liked the bear grease. Just not into lubing patches anymore.
I still have plenty of the .018 prelubed bore-butter pillow-tickers handy, along with about 50 prelubed .020 cottons in Mr. Flintlock's Lube.

Whatever oiled patches comes in the mail, are what's going with me to the range this weekend. I'll bet they shoot just fine and protect the bore too. That's why I got way from Mr. Flintlocks lube, when he told me over the phone that his lube only protects for a day or two.....tops. I want something that lasts an entire week up-north..... and that's not yellow.... :|

I like the bear grease for hunting in cold weather. It stays soft no matter how cold it gets. Mink oil does too. Any of the liquid lubes are better for range shooting and that's how I use it. I can shoot all day without swabbing using the liquids and real BP. Not good for hunting though.

btw......... You can buy patches prelubed with the bear grease at October if you don't want to lube yourself.

I have a unopened 100-pk of October's prelubed bear grease patches somewhere hidden, along with 2-pks of unopened 295gr copper Powerbelts I purchased on closeout at Walmart last December.

Can't find either items anywhere in the home or garage. That's why I changed-up and bought these from TOTW. Plus these oiled patches are supposedly good for hunting, for they contain anti-corrosion properties too. Mr. Flintlock's lube was too short-term in anti-corrosion properties and once prelubed and placed in an Altoids container, they would eventually dry-out.

I purchased two bottles from him two years ago and still have 1-1/2 remaining. Looks and smells eerily similar to the Lehigh Valley stuff from years ago..... odor of either Pine-Sol or Murphys. You know all about it already from Jon's Place and I see you're not using it either.

I'm going to give Jon's patch lube a try in my new flintlock and report on it.

Now that I think about it. I don't need a cold weather patch lube anymore. I'm just going to do one hunt a year from now on. An elk hunt over the pass in Taylor Park in muzzy season. So, that's a mid sept hunt. It won't be cold enough to worry about the patch lube. I shoot the load out at the end of the day anyway. I found a really nice spot there this year scouting with lot's of elk and few hunters. Big open meadows surrounded by aspen groves. I'll hunt in the aspens. Beautiful area and no steep climbs.

I have a friend who's 100% Lakota Indian. I told him i'd buy him a tag and let him use my gun if he'll get the elk meat out for me. He jumped at the deal. I didn't tell him we're using a flintlock, but I bet he'll like it. He has the classic Indian look and appeared in a few western movies as an extra. Kind of looks like Sitting Bull. His great grandfather was in the Little Big Horn battle that took out Custer. He has some great stories.

Mountain men were friendly with the Indians, so kind of fits together since the fur trade mountain man era is what I try to replicate. I'm not one to take pictures, but I will of this hunt. Should be fun.

It takes a special ML owner to borrow out his ML rifles to hunters that are not with you or me during the hunt.

I heard/read so many horror stories of these blackpowder guns coming back to the owners with rust, for the person borrowing the gun usually knows little about keeping it from rust.

I wish you and him the best in that regard. If I cannot be with the person who loans my MLs, then I make darn-sure that person knows how to keep it clean for multiple days - multiple fires..... and only uses the supplied cleaners and oils that I recommend for that particular gun.

I'm not lending it out to him to take home. He'll be hunting with me so he can take out the elk meat. Then i'll be with him to help him get an elk. I'll always be in control of the gun and it comes home with me. Basically, i'll hand him the gun when it's time for him to take a shot and he'll hand it back after the shot. I'll be loading, priming etc.

Latest posts

Back