What's Your Favorite Sidelock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite for fun is a Chris Hirsch cherry stocked SMR. It's light and pretty and fun to shoot .40 caliber. My go-to rifle is a 1978 kit CVA Mt. Rifle .50 that has had almost 100 pounds of powder run through it over the last 40+ years. My absolute pick over all others in the safe for deer hunting. It still shoots a ragged one hole group at 50 yards with my 70 YO eyes.
View attachment 2337 View attachment 2339 View attachment 2338
Chris makes a nice gun. I have one of his Tennessee rifles in .54.

Here's my favorite so far, working on a couple other Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association guns at this time. This is GRRW.CA #H03 J&S Hawken [CW] full stock .50 caliber (flint) rifle by Carl Walker.

Testing:
GRRW.CA #NW01 H.E. Leman North West Tradegun [GW] full stock .50 caliber smoothbore (flint) by Doc White.

GRRW.CA #L02 H.E. Leman [LB] half stock rifle .50 caliber (percussion) by Les Bennett.

Notice the serial numbers follow each other (nice to call the shots on something once in a while). ;)

See:
http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/pages/grrw.ca.models.built 2016.2017.htm
http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/pages/grrw.ca.cost.sht.htm

There's one thing traditional sidelocks have over most inlines and that's wooden stocks. I wish my inlines had the aesthetic beauty of real wood.

There's some very fine looking rifles posted here, I may have to replace my keyboard from all the drool.
My only experience is my late 70's TC Renegade. I like it fine but there are lots of others that catch my eye, especially the curly maple stocked rifles.
If I were to get a favorite I couldn't say who the builder would be, but can say it would be a half stock in curly maple, stained dark like Buck's, .50 cal, with a RB twist.

Here's my favorite so far, working on a couple other Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association guns at this time. This is GRRW.CA #H03 J&S Hawken [CW] full stock .50 caliber (flint) rifle by Carl Walker.

Testing:
GRRW.CA #NW01 H.E. Leman North West Tradegun [GW] full stock .50 caliber smoothbore (flint) by Doc White.

GRRW.CA #L02 H.E. Leman [LB] half stock rifle .50 caliber (percussion) by Les Bennett.

Notice the serial numbers follow each other (nice to call the shots on something once in a while). ;)

See:
http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/pages/grrw.ca.models.built 2016.2017.htm
http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/pages/grrw.ca.cost.sht.htm

Love that flintlock!

My favorite for fun is a Chris Hirsch cherry stocked SMR. It's light and pretty and fun to shoot .40 caliber. My go-to rifle is a 1978 kit CVA Mt. Rifle .50 that has had almost 100 pounds of powder run through it over the last 40+ years. My absolute pick over all others in the safe for deer hunting. It still shoots a ragged one hole group at 50 yards with my 70 YO eyes.
View attachment 2337 View attachment 2339 View attachment 2338
She's a beauty! What is her favorite powder charge?

It's hard to pick "favorite," but if I had to, it would be a Neill Fields flintlock .
The rifle was built by Neill Fields who built rifles at the Green River Rifle Works. It has an original Mortimer lock in it, with a 7/8x36", .50 cal, GRRRW barrel. Barrel has 8 lands and grooves.

The rifle is a small Beck style or early Lancaster, depending on who you ask and weighs in at 6.5 lbs.

Seems likethe gun was built around the lock. The original Mortimer English lock is 1810 or so. It features a waterproof style pan, rollered frizzen spring, and a stirrup linked tumbler and mainspring and very smooth internals. It sparks very well.

H.W. Mortimer on the lock plate: Harvey Walklate Mortimer (b.1753) was appointed Gunmaker Extraordinary to the Prince of Wales in 1811.

According to someone much more informed than me, the wood, the Rococo carving, and the sliding wood patchbox along with the curve on the buttstock are consistent with Rev War era rifles. All of which point towards an early Lancaster time period. The rounded back on the lockplate however is early 1800's style.
View attachment 2263
View attachment 2264
View attachment 2265
View attachment 2266
View attachment 2267
View attachment 2268
Some nice figure in that wood Ron, I hope she shoots as good as she looks.

She shoots very well, Bull. My skill doesn't let me test the rifle to its limits, but at 50 yards, I don't have a muzzle loader that will better it. This is not surprising, given its GRRW barrel.
Ron

I've looked at hunting magazines that advertise super premium grade rifles, with beautiful wood, costing tens of thousands of dollars. Some of the muzzle loaders in this thread easily match the beauty of those exclusive, modern rifles. Those are some fine firearms, gentlemen.
Ron

All mine are "Plain Jane" longrifles. I'm not a builder and just never could come up with the $$ for an engraved/carved rifle. But they are top quality and I don't mind taking them into the bush. Still, I get a lump in my throat looking at some of these posts.

My 62 cal smooth rifle is fast becoming my go to muzzleloader for hunting and shooting..it packs a punch and cleans up quick and easy.20200722_175834.jpg

My GPR has been my best buddy of the gun world for over 20 years. Other guns have come and gone as the mood strikes, but I bonded with this one a long time ago. We've been over many miles together and I take extra good care of it.

AHHHH redundancy, the privilege of age. Of course my favorite is my switch bbl underhammer. I now have 54,50,45 & .36 barrels for it. Also working on a 1-54 twist 1 1/4 X 28" H&A. Maple stock. false muzzle slug gun. or whatever it happens to like, just season to taste. Now up to 4 H&A UHs and a pronghorn tag burning a hole in my pocket, waiting on cooler temps and when the Mullen and Cameron fires smoke clears. Lotta misplaced wildlife around here, mostly Colo and Calif plates on them LOL................Mossie

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    654.4 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    653.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    658.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    628.8 KB · Views: 12
A beautiful little lefty 40 caliber of Early Virginia style built quite a few years ago by Jack Patterson in Upstate New York. Has had a lot of rounds through it, and has to have a couple of home-cut felt wads over the powder to help control the fouling.

I love taking this rifle out to hunt cottontails!

AHHHH redundancy, the privilege of age. Of course my favorite is my switch bbl underhammer. I now have 54,50,45 & .36 barrels for it. Also working on a 1-54 twist 1 1/4 X 28" H&A. Maple stock. false muzzle slug gun. or whatever it happens to like, just season to taste. Now up to 4 H&A UHs and a pronghorn tag burning a hole in my pocket, waiting on cooler temps and when the Mullen and Cameron fires smoke clears. Lotta misplaced wildlife around here, mostly Colo and Calif plates on them LOL................Mossie
I see that in one picture "IT IS MILLER TIME, THE CHAMPAIN OF BEERS!!!??"

Back