What's Your Favorite Sidelock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have numerous custom made sidelock firearms, but when it all comes down to it....I always seem to go back to the old TC Hawkens as favorites. I just put another one together from parts laying around here for a friend to use during deer season. I have nice rifles from .40 to .62 calibers...but I usually end up with a Hawken .50 for deer hunting.

My favorite for fun is a Chris Hirsch cherry stocked SMR. It's light and pretty and fun to shoot .40 caliber. My go-to rifle is a 1978 kit CVA Mt. Rifle .50 that has had almost 100 pounds of powder run through it over the last 40+ years. My absolute pick over all others in the safe for deer hunting. It still shoots a ragged one hole group at 50 yards with my 70 YO eyes.
View attachment 2337 View attachment 2339 View attachment 2338
I think cherry may be my favorite species of wood for stocks because even with little or no curl the color always surprises me. I still love walnut though, so it may be a tie. Yours is a beauty and Hirsch does build nice ones.

Mine would have to be my CVA Mountain rifle in 50 cal . First muzzle loader I got and first I built from a kit way back in the early 70's .It has several deer and many hogs to its credit and still shoots better then I can. Also its companion pistol I built in 50 cal also its got 2 deer to its credit also.CVA pair.jpg

Mine would have to be my CVA Mountain rifle in 50 cal . First muzzle loader I got and first I built from a kit way back in the early 70's .It has several deer and many hogs to its credit and still shoots better then I can. Also its companion pistol I built in 50 cal also its got 2 deer to its credit also.View attachment 2837
Alot in common thereMark1945. I see you're a jeep fan too!

Thats my imported jeep . I bought it from a couple who moved to Texas from Colorado several years ago . Its a 78 CJ7 with a 304 V8 and Quadratrac .View attachment 2838
Nice Jeep...as soon as I have time I'll post some of ours. My son Stan J has a '77 completely restored with really low miles. Jonathan and I have a 1973 CJ5 with fairly low miles. About 70% restored.

After cruising over this thread for the umpteenth time, I still can't decide which of my front stuffers I like the best. It is easier to say which one I like the least which sadly is my .45 cal H&A flintlock. This gun shoots straight and is one of my most accurate but ignition has always been unreliable and it eats flints like a fat lady scarfing donuts. It's the one in front. Second picture is the one I probably shoot the most. TC Hawken with a .45 cal. green mountain barrel.DSCF3221.JPGDSCF1549.JPG

I should add that the black rifle in my first picture now looks like this. It's a good reliable shooter but it is heavy and I get pretty tired holding it up for a full woods walk. Traditions Pennsylvania .50 cal.

85101657_10220630668417736_241142854389334016_o.jpg
20200114_090933.jpg

I would have to say I love all of my sidelocks but I’m very partial of my pedersoli Kentucky .32 cal. But a close second would e my pedersoli blue ridge .54 cal. Both are flintlock. I know my blue ridge has put more meat in my freezer but my .32 sure is fun to squirrel hunt with.

Attachments

• F0255E76-DB59-41F1-A03E-73F162AB9D73.jpeg
    F0255E76-DB59-41F1-A03E-73F162AB9D73.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 8
I would have to say I love all of my sidelocks but I’m very partial of my pedersoli Kentucky .32 cal. But a close second would e my pedersoli blue ridge .54 cal. Both are flintlock. I know my blue ridge has put more meat in my freezer but my .32 sure is fun to squirrel hunt with.

Nice!
I have 2x Pedersoli Frontier flinters in .32 and .50.
both don’t get the attention they deserve. But then my job takes care of any free time.
Thanks for sharing.

I figure another photo of my Lyman Great Plains Rifle doesn't hurt......
108265895-290241075509746-2837829196426241340-n.jpg

Thought I'd add my latest acquisition, It's my favorite smoothbore. It was an easy choice since it is my first and only fowler. 20201125-111133.jpg20201125-111714.jpg20201125-111526.jpg J. Brown 20 ga.

I'm in love with a GRRW.CA J&S Hawken that Jonathan checked out for me last year. It's a .50 cal., round groove rifling, coned barrel and super fast lock. Built by Carl Walker (1st custom gunsmith for GRRW 40 years ago, now builds for GRRW Collectors Assocation.

1606424085783.png

Attachments

• GRRW.jpg
    GRRW.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 2
That I've owned:
.45 Caliber CVA "Kentucky" rifle. (the take-over by Traditions and upgrade to .50 caliber hadn't happened yet when I had this one) (long gone)
.50 Caliber CVA "Frontier" rifle (sorta like a plain short barrel 1/2 stock Hawken) (long gone)
(Factory) Big Bore .54 caliber T/C Hawken.
(have)
Traditions "Trapper" pistol (have the percussion version)
CVA .45 caliber "Lincoln Derringer" (long gone)

That I Ain't Owned and in all likelihood never will:
(reproduction) Zouave
(reproduction) "Mississippi Rifle"
(reproduction) Brown Bess
(reproduction) Flintlock "Kentucky" rifle, in .45 to .54 caliber. .50 or .54 preferred, so legal to hunt any big game in this state.
(Kodiak?) Double barrel side by .58 caliber and 12 gauge.
.54 Caliber Lyman GPR in flintlock and percussion.
Traditions "Kentucky" pistol. (FL or Perc)
Lyman Great Plains pistion. (FL or Perc)

If I had to pick one, my Lyman Trade Rifle is my favorite, designated as the New Grapefruit Slayer, it is equipped with Lyman rear peep and front Globe sights. It's replaced the Deerstalker as the Old Grapefruit Slayer; both .54 cal & used extensively to plink grapefruit, balloons out at the 100 yard line.

I have so many, its hard to say, I do most of my hunting with my Lyman GPR, I have a slug barrel and a round ball barrel for it. my most accurate is an old CVA 45 mountain rifle with Douglas barrel, I also have a 50 cal CVA Mt rifle, I have a 36 cal full stock that I built my self that I have squirrel hunted with, its a lot of fun, then there's the traditions crocket 32, has also taken a few squirrels, the Grandsons use my little TC white mountain carbine, got a few deer with it, I have a 12 ga fowler I made, shot a duck or two with an old double ugly CVA 12 ga, I have a few others but don't have time to shoot them all. I have a Dixie 45 flinter that I have been building on for 10 years now ( just need to finish it ) I don't know?

Back