When to clean your rifle when hunting ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goex

Reaction score
When you are hunting and shoot an animal you reload for a second shot. I lick a patch and run it down the barrel then turn it over an run it down again. Then I put the premeasured Triple 7 powder in the barrel and load the sabot for a follow up shot. My question is how long can the rifle stay loaded before the barrel starts rusting. My rifle is stainless steel.

If you are going to get more shooting that day I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to hunt the rest of the season,a week or more, I would unload/discharge the gun,and clean it. A spit patch works well,but not for long term loading. When you get back to camp(or home) that evening you can do a "field" cleaning,and reload your gun. Powder is about all you would waste,and it's allot cheaper than rusting up a fine barrel. If I'm hunting in "wet conditions"for more than one day,I allways discharge/unload my ML at the end of the day. You may get the shot of a lifetime,the next day,and for me it's not worth taking a chance on having a "bad load/dud missfire". :D

Latest posts

Back