Where to order a Possibles bag from

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
I need a Possibles bag.
Don't really want to spend more than about $60
Any ideas?

Ebay also has some reasonably priced decent ones.
If you've had a few of them then disregard, but if this is your first one I'll offer my preferences. I will also say that there is a tendency to buy too big of one for your first because you think you need to carry a ton of stuff, and will later wish for a smaller one.
The perfect one for me would be about a 6" bag of stiff leather so it keeps its shape well, has a divider splitting the storage space in half on the inside, has another small pocket for holding small items like a nipple wrench, jag, etc., and has a loop on the outside for a short starter (I don't keep it there if hunting in brush, it's just for repeated shooting). I'd add a patch knife sheath to the strap if I was cutting at the muzzle.

I made two of my current bags and two more were gifts from friends. Smaller ones in the 6" X 6", 6" X 7" or 8" are plenty large. One I made from canvas and deer hide.

The names these leather companies give their bags today but a smile on our faces like "The Bridger Bag", "Kit Carson Possible Bag" and so on. Osborn Russell wrote that they used what was available from feed sacks to fancy European field shooting range bags. I read an article back in the late '50s about this old boy in the 1860s calling some of his wares strange names when compared to what they were referred in his date and now. The reporter did a good job getting the comparsions weeded out, Turner Kirkland got a kick out of the report in his Dixie Catalog.

skills.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the names are goofy but I bought the bag I showed and it's a really nice bag. Well made and i'd buy it again.

Yes, the names are goofy but I bought the bag I showed and it's a really nice bag. Well made and i'd buy it again.
SIDE NOTE
Before Oct Cty started making bags, they just made patches at the time. In1979 we were making shooting patches for the Olympic Team in Colo. Springs under the trade name "Buckhorn Rendevzous" along with the shooting bags seen today at Oct Cty. I got hurt on my regular job in 1984 and got transferred from Ft. Collins to Denver. Sold the dies with everything we were making to a young man that rented from me now becoming "Bridger's Best". I don't know how Oct Cty got the dies (used to cut out the bags) could cut a half dozen pieces of leather at a time with a 60 ton gang press. We have double and triple checked their bags against what we were making - same pattern (its' rignt on the money down to alignment hole punches).

I will agree Pete, October Country makes good products for commerical made shooting bag. :thumbs up:

skills.jpg

Last edited:
I am a little late to this post but I just ordered a possibles bag from Rocky Point Leather. He specializes in Mountain Man bags and is reasonably priced especially compared to many others. I am waiting for it to arrive so we shall see how it is. I paid $64 for the one I ordered and I really like the rugged more authentic look It has. I had a notice it was shipping within an hour or so after placing my order.

I just checked out Rocky Point Leather, some great looking bags there for much better prices than one normally sees for such bags. I especially like the dark "black" one with two interior pockets.

I just got off the phone with the owner of Rocky Point Leather. He was following up with my order. He is a super nice man who used to participate in the Mountain Man Rendevous and hand makes his bags. I am even more impressed with him and his company than before.

For top of the line possible bags or any other period carriers and goods see Bob Browder at "Longhunter Leather Company" at:

https://www.facebook.com/Longhunter-Leather-Company-126949460685787/
1605456622529.png
I have used Bob's items for over 30 years with no issues. I have this much and more and love everything he makes whether it's standard items or personal made for me with my ideas. Everything is top quality and hand sewn with waxed thread.

Attachments

• longhunterleather.jpg
    longhunterleather.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back