Which bullet would you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try the No Excuses, great bullets, load surprisingly easy and very affordable. I don't shoot a wad behind them and have good accuracy out of of my Knight Shadow.

The Powerbelt will shoot exactly the same without the skirt. It's just a lead conical. Keep the velocities low so it stays in one piece.

Anyone seriously considering shooting a Power Belt without the skirt - be careful. The skirt is not oly designed to be a beginning gas seal but it is suppose to hold the projectile on the powder... In fact on my 50's a PB would slide right out the barrel without the skirt...

If you were able to shoot the PB with out the skirt - I am not sure you could build enough pressure to obturate the bullet to the bore - before it comes out the muzzle.

they shot horrible for me without the skirt. 3" @ 50 yards isnt what you'd call "shooting the same"

Some may shoot the same, others may not. Have to practice and find out what they actually will do for you.

I guess I should have stated they shoot the same in rifles with consistant bore sizes. Extruded steel barrels have bore sizes that vary as much as .010. That can be a problem.

Swampman

I guess I should have stated they shoot the same in rifles with consistant bore sizes.

No! I disagree with that statement also... if i drop a 50 cal PB down the barrel of my Remingtons without the skirt - I can pour the PB right back out on the ground... PB's do not fit the bore until they obturate from the powder burn...

Since powerbelts are designed to be smaller than bore, don't know how anyone could shoot them safely without the skirt. The skirt is the only thing that holds them in the barrel.

And I can tell you the answer before you ask. The landowner doesn't want loose pieces of plastic laying around the property which cattle WILL pick up and swallow. I would be unlikely, but could cause a problem (I am a vet)

I give another vote for the Hornady FPB. I am getting 5 inch groups at 100 yards with open sights in my Omega with Blackhorn 209. I am sure that would shrink conisderably with a scope.

Lets face it a Powerbelt has enought trouble with the skirt ON.Why make things worse by takeing it off? :shock:

Well there is alot of problems over here.The worse bullet i ever seen come apart.And NO i am not going to load it down to Spit-Ball or BlowGun Velocities just to keep it intact.No bullet should ever come apart like they do.
frontier gander said:
No problems with the Powerbelt over here.

I thought patched round balls were the worse projectiles out on the market :roll:

If you have any, you know who to donate those worthless things to :)

No Patched round balls are alot better than Powerbelts bullets are.Atleast they stay together better. :lol:
frontier gander said:
I thought patched round balls were the worse projectiles out on the market :roll:

If you have any, you know who to donate those worthless things to :)

try a hornady great plains conical and you get the same thing if pushed to hard. Hollow Point + Pure lead and high FPS and a close range shot just doesnt work out.

I blame the huge hollow point for the powerbelts problems. Same with the great plains.

I prefer a flat point my self but when they shoot good, i cant complain.

Latest posts

Back