Which Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
If you had the option of the 300 gr Bonded ShockWave with short HPH sabot or the 290 TMZ Barnes bullet for an elk hunt, which would you use? Both are shooting sub MOA at 200 yards with 120 gr of BH209. Loading difficulty is very similar between the two. I would expect both to hold up fairly well. I expect the TMX to penetrate deeper though. My local Sportsman's Warehouse carries both. I will be chasing bulls next month and need to decide which bullet to take. I may end up taking both as the POI is close enough that I can switch between the two and still make accurate hits to 250 yards.

Without hesitation or doubt, another vote for the Barnes

Sounds like a plan then. I will be using the TMZ as my elk wacker this year. Thanks guys!

Yeah...I'd go with the 300gr Bonded as well. I've shot a lot of Barnes bullets over the years...a LOT. But day in day out consistant accuracy awards go to the lead core Shockwaves/SSTs/Ballistic Extremes. Zero obturation of the Barnes may be be reason..

Either bullet is a good choice, but I'd go with the TMZ 290 and it would have a yellow jacket. Shot some EZ loads today with TMZ's - they loaded too easy, made me uneasy and I will trade 15 blue for 15 yellow.

BR's Cob

Latest posts

Back